Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SpamAssassin Outgoing Scan Causing Slow SMTP?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by uk01, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:26 AM.

1. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Hi we enabled the exim option to scan outgoing mail with spam assassin.
    However, I've just become aware this has introduced a delay of about 6-8 seconds when sending email.

This delay does not affect Outlook/Mac mail users as it goes to outbox but in some mail clients or webmail apps it sits saying "sending" for 6-8 seconds.

Is there any way of speeding this up?

Outgoing messages are not scanned as default, is this because it's not really required?

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The only instance in which I would anticipate a delay like this would be if the mail server was extremely busy. In that instance scanning of outbound mail would cause some additional delay. There really aren't any modifications you can make to the outbound scanner to speed this up, short of disabling the scanning, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. uk01

uk01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply, server load is low as we keep a small amount of accounts per vm.
    However, I can confirm turning the option off allows the email to send instantly.

I also discovered, if I remove any urls from the email, such as in the signature, it sends instantly, so it's Spam Assassin slow at scanning urls for spam.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @uk01

That's interesting, are you running bind? If so what is the output of the following:

Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...