The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin report_safe option

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by thobarn, Mar 1, 2009.

1. thobarn

thobarn Well-Known Member

According to SpamAssassin "if report_safe option is set to 1, if an incoming message is tagged as spam, instead of modifying the original message, SpamAssassin will create a new report message and attach the original message as a message/rfc822 MIME part"

This option is set to 1 both in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf and /usr/share/spamassassin/10_default_prefs.cf however original spam email still arrives as it is with X-Spam headers added only.

Is there any other config file that should be changed. How can I get behaviour conforming to manual? Thanks

#1 thobarn, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. thobarn

Wow! over a year, and thousand+ views and no answer. Did I not explain well or is this a very difficult question? :) I am still looking for a way to do that if someone is kind enough to give a pointer.

3. nerrd

nerrd Registered

Spam Assassin appears to be neutered

From the investigation I did of this issue, the actual headers and message modification are hacked into exim, and literally have nothing to do with spamassassin's settings: EXIM uses SA to rate its mail, and nothing more.

I have found this infuriating.

For one: its impossible to do what you asked: use the report safe option.
    For two: its impossible to have SA put it's full report headers in Ham.

This means its next to impossible to properly configure SA, because there is no way to know what rules were even evaluated in generating the score of a piece of spam that was improperly identified as ham.

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What you stated is inaccurate; it is still possible to utilize SpamAssassin in the method described.

While the ACL method offers the best performance, you, as the server administrator, may easily switch the Exim MTA configuration to use the legacy transport-based SpamAssassin message handling by accessing WHM via the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor >> Standard Options >> SpamAssassin™ Options
    • Old Style Spam System
      DEPRECATED: Use legacy transport based SpamAssassin™ system instead of the new ACL style one (not recommended, slow).

5. thobarn

Is there way to accomplish something similar to "report_safe" option without having to use the, deprecated, slow, not recommended by cPanel, legacy handling?

6. thobarn

Currently when SpamAssassin marks an email as a possible SPAM it adds several headers to the original message. For example:
    Code:
    (Original headers...)
    (Headers continue...)
    X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=5.0
    X-Spam-Score: 50
    X-Spam-Bar: +++++
    X-Spam-Report: Spam detection software, running on the system "...", has
    	identified this incoming email as possible spam.  ...
    	Content preview:  (Snippet from email...)
    	Content analysis details:   (4.9 points, 5.0 required)
    	pts rule name              description
    	(Detection rule set etc...)
    X-Spam-Flag: YES
    Subject: ** SPAM ** I want to meet serious
    I want if an incoming message is tagged as spam, instead of modifying the original message headers, SpamAssassin to create a new report message and attach the original message as a message/rfc822 MIME part as described in SpamAssassin documentation.
    Yes, only with headers intact, instead as an attachment to the report message created upon detection.
    Can you explain how please?