The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin spam_rewrite

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, May 12, 2007.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm testing out cPanel 11 (11.3.6-EDGE_11817) on a test box, trying to get a feel of the new features before making it available to our end users.

I seem to be having some problems with the spam_rewrite option with CP11. Am I correct in that if Enable System filter option: spam_rewrite (Rewrite messages SpamAssassin marks as spam with ***SPAM*** at the beginning of the subject line. (Requires the new acl based spamassassin system.)) is unchecked in the WHM, then users should not be able to Configure SpamAssassin and use the rewrite_header subject feature? I understand that the option would still be displayed in user's control panels, but this option would not work.

The reason I ask, is that I have the spam_rewrite option unchecked in the WHM. I also have a subject rewrite configured for an account on the test machine. When I send the GTUBE spam string to a test account on that server, the subject of that message is rewritten to include the subject rewrite. I thought that with this disabled in the WHM, that this would not be the case.

I'm also interested to know how people are approaching this. We have always recommended that users rewrite the subject of spam messages using the rewrite_header subject in the SpamAssassin configuration page, however that does not seem to be the recommended usage from the cPanel developers. I am not sure how well my users will adjust to this switch, so I am a little interested in if anybody else has made this switch. Are there any other hosting companies that recommended the subject rewrite, but are now telling users to filter their spam with a different method? How well did that go over?

Thanks

2. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I tried this on another test server and got the same results. Perhaps I am missing something.

I was under the impression that cPanel 11 would not allow subject rewrites by SpamAssassin if a message was determined to be a spam message. Is this the case?

I was also under the impression that subject rewrites could be accomplished but that the exim configuration had to be changed to allow for this. What is the default setting? With cPanel 11 does the default configuration allow subject rewrites with SpamAssassin?

I'm just trying to get an understanding of this before I begin deploying cPanel 11 to our production servers. Like I said, I thought I had read in other threads, as well as what the control panel page is saying, that subject rewrites were no longer available. Instead users needed to use X-Spam-Status header to determine if SpamAssassin marked the message as spam. I don't want to upgrade to cPanel 11 thinking that subject rewrites are available and being done and then have them taken away. I'm not here to complain about any of the changes, I'm just wondering if someone can help with my confusion on this subject.

Thanks

3. mooony

mooony Well-Known Member

4. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the old style enabled by default?

All that I am doing is upgrading the test servers to cpanel 11 (Edge) and then logging into an account on that server. Enabling SpamAssassin on that account. Then I configure SpamAssassin to rewrite the subjects. When I click Save on that page, I get a new page that tells me that SpamAssasin is not configured for rewrites.

I then send the GTUBE spam test string to a mail account on that server on that account, and sure enough the subject is rewritten to include the string I specified when configuring SpamAssassin.

This is why I am confused. According to what I have read and according to the message that is given after configuring SpamAssassin, subjects should not be being rewritten by SpamAssassin. But they are.

Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone else tested this? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

5. mooony

mooony Well-Known Member

On the servers where I have upgrade to cpanel 11 the new style is attive. So if you want to use the old style you need to flag it attive in WHM.

I hope this helps you with your problem.

6. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What options do you have checked in the Exim Configuration Editor page in the WHM?

Do you have Use the old transport based spamassassin system instead of the new acl style one. checked?

Do you have Enable System filter option: spam_rewrite checked?

On the new test server that I am testing on, Enable System filter option: spam_rewrite is checked but Use the old transport based spamassassin system instead of the new acl style one. is not checked.

It should be noted that I have not made any changes to this server. All I did was upgrade from Release to Edge and set up a mail account, enabled SpamAssassin, and configured subject rewrites. It would appear that Enable System filter option: spam_rewrite was checked by default (although, I have not clicked Save at the Exim Configuration editor, it might just be that this option is checked but not really active).

Appreciate your input.

7. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Think I got this figured out.

I updated one of the test boxes to Current. Looks like there are changes in Current that are not in Edge. But this still did not seem to help.

When I investigated this further, I noticed that even if I change the options in Exim Configuration Editor for Use the old transport based spamassassin system instead of the new acl style one. or Enable System filter option the size and md5sum of /etc/exim.conf was not changing. I forced an exim update with:

mv /etc/exim.conf.local /etc/exim.conf.local.old
    /scripts/eximup --force

And that seemed to do the trick. Then when I made changes with the Exim Configuration Editor I noticed that there was some additional text being displayed that was not there previously. The size and md5sum of the exim.conf file also changed.

Not sure what I had done to the exim.conf file or some other part of the exim configuration that required the exim update or perhaps the eximup is needed after upgrading to cPanel 11. I don't have any more test boxes to try any of this with. But at least now I feel better knowing that this problem is solved. I was just getting very confused because everything I was reading was saying that it should not be working, but it was, and I was sure how to proceed in a production environment if that was the case.

Thanks for all your help.

8. SynAsha

SynAsha Member

SpamAssassin Auto-discard?

Did the new version update of SpamAssassin cause the auto-discard to not function properly? I am receiving some emails which have been rewritten with the ***SPAM*** tag. (I did not check to use the old transport mode). Oddly, it does not seem like all of the spam, just a chunk. :confused:

9. NNNils

NNNils Well-Known Member

I have a slightly different problem.

Instead of adding ***SPAM*** to the message subject, the subject is deleted and replaced by ***SPAM***

exim config looks like this:

add_header = X-Spam-Subject: ***SPAM*** $h_subject*

Anyone?

10. WebmastTroy

WebmastTroy Well-Known Member

From what I've seen in other threads about the new SA, you need $h_Subject (with a capital S).

11. cookiesunshinex

cookiesunshinex Well-Known Member

I upgraded to RELEASE which is WHM 11, and I still receive my SPAM rewrite subject line that looks like

***SPAM*** original subject.

I went into the SpamAssasin configuration after reading this thread and there is no longer an option to set the Subject Re-write.

So I'm wondering how it is being re-written.

12. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its on or off GLOBALLY now.. in whm's exim config editor unless you are using the old style stuff then it can be configured per user (of course expect your loads to raise as much as 50% with the old system)

13. cookiesunshinex

cookiesunshinex Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply Nick.

After I made my post, I went in and poked around in WHM configuration and found the Exim configuration settings, and noticed that there is an option entitled:

"Rewrite messages SpamAssassin marks as spam with ***SPAM*** at the beginning of the subject line."

which is located under the filters section.

So I understand the behavior now.

14. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

may be a stupid question but is there any other way to do client level spam management using rules ? I know the spam score is in the header is it possible to manage email via header contents ?

Id love to NOT waste the CPU power BUT I also love having the low socring spam automatically moved to spam folder for quick review before deletion

I may have to turn off CPanel updates to be sure that we stay on version 10 till I understand this issue and others better