Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SpamAssassin SPF PTR issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by K2rool, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. K2rool

K2rool Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, a client of mines opened a support ticket with me over Spamassassin marking a number of incoming email from the same sender as spam it was due to this 4.0 SPF_FAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (fail).

This is where the issue gets a bit weird, I checked the sender IP against the SPF record of the domain which came back as SPF pass.

So I asked the client if he could get the sender to send a few tests email's which was fine since the sender was a friend of his.

The client got his friend to send an email to a Gmail address came back as SPF pass, he also sent it to my business email which I host on an external non Cpanel server Spamassassin on it come back as SPF_PASS.

So I narrowed it down to local server issue or Cpanel's Spamassassin setup, so I got the client to ask the sender to send one more email to an email account I've got access to hosted at some other random Cpanel based shared hosting not my server which Spamassassin also marked as SPF fail.

I manage to find out it's an issue with Cpanel Spamassassin, not just my server, the issue is for some reason the SpamAssassin in Cpanel can't handle SPF validation using ptr mechanisms which the stock version of Spamassassin can.

[removed]

Ryan

#1 K2rool, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Ryan,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at the actual email to get a better idea of what's happening?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. K2rool

K2rool Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmm, you're not going to be able to view the actual email since my company got strict privacy policies on external persons viewing the customer data.

What I can do if you got an email address that is hosted on a Cpanel server I can get the sender to send you an email, as this issue comes up on ever cpanel server i got access too.

If you what to use the workaround i suggested just pm the address.

Ryan

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Ryan,

We should be able to complete that test for you without access to your system via a support ticket. You can choose to not allow access when opening the ticket.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...