The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin status On/Off with outgoing scanning enabled.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by BlueSteam, Jan 29, 2016.

1. BlueSteam

BlueSteam Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi All,

I currently use MailChannels but want to cancel the services as it has become very expensive and I feel that I can get the same result using the built in SpamAssassin utility.

I am planning on enabling the following features:

outgoing_spam_scan (Scan outgoing messages for spam and reject based on the Apache SpamAssassin™ internal spam_score setting)

outgoing_spam_scan_over_int (Scan outgoing messages for spam and reject based on defined Apache SpamAssassin™ score)

I have some questions around it that I was hoping you geniuses could assist me with.
    1. What real benefit does one setting or the other setting have over its counterpart?
    2. Can they both be enabled at the same time? Should they be? If not, which one should I enable?
    3. Does SpamAssassin have to be enabled by default on the clients account for incoming mails in order for it to scan their outgoing messages as well?
    Thanks in advance
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. Both options perform the same action, but each option offers a different scoring requirement.

2. No, you can only enable one option at a time. I suggest using "Scan outgoing messages for spam and reject based on the Apache SpamAssassin™ internal spam_score setting" if you prefer to use the same spam_score setting that's utilized for incoming email.

3. No, it just needs to be enabled as a service on the server (WHM >> Service Manager).

Thank you.