The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin timeout(s)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by verdon, Jul 21, 2007.

1. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are SpamAssassin timeout(s) normal? I'm getting in the neighborhood of 250 a day on 3,000 to 4,000 messages. Should I be concerned?

rgds,

2. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Run a lint -D and see where it's timing out. I found in the last couple weeks that the older version of clam with the newer version of SA is a bad, slow combination. Update clam (if you are using it) and see if that helps...

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi :)

I appreciate the input. I ran spamassassin --lint -D in shell and although I don't really know what I am looking at, I didn't see anything that looked like an error or a failure or a timeout. I also ran it a couple time via Mailwatch before that. The first time I ran it in mailwatch, there was one orange and two yellow flags and a total finish time of 9.92802. The second and third times I ran it there were no orange flags, two yellow flags (different places each time) and total finish times of 6.0442 and 4.29167. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that's too alarming.

As to clam, I am using ClamAV - v0.91.1 with spamassissin 3.2.1 and perl 5.8.8. I also use configserver's mailscanner package and mailscanner front end to manage it.

4. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just in case anyone else stumbles across this...

I was also trying to find where my disk space was disappearing to recently and in doing so discovered that there are nearly 2,000 files in /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin that are mostly bayes_toks.* files, totaling nearly 3GB of space. This seemed a little extreme to me and I wondered if it is part of the reason why my server load/performance has been dropping as well as other issues.

Anywise, I went ahead and
    rm -Rvf /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin

the bayes db did rebuild itself, my server/cpu loads have returned to normal, spamassassin timeouts have almost dissapeared, woot woot!

I'm not sure what happened originally to cause the bayes db to bloat out of control like that, but I'll keep an eye on this a little more closely in the future. It caused a lot of issues.