The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin woes since cP11

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by EdP, Jun 20, 2007.

1. EdP

EdP Member

SpamAssassin seems to be ignoring anything I put in the required_score box in cPanel. I have 10 and the logs below show it using the default 5.0.

Also, whitelist_from seems to have no effect (some whitelist emails still detected as spam).

I have noticed entries like the following in maillog and wondered if it is related:

Code:
    Jun 20 16:08:46 lastfaa1 spamd[335]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /home/lfadmin/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.lastfaa1.miniserver.com.335 for /home/lfadmin/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: Permission denied 
    Jun 20 16:08:46 lastfaa1 spamd[335]: spamd: identified spam (26.3/5.0) for lfadmin:99 in 0.3 seconds, 1175 bytes. 
    Jun 20 16:08:46 lastfaa1 spamd[335]: spamd: result: Y 26 - DNS_FROM_DOB,DRUGS_ERECTILE,DRUG_ED_CAPS,FB_LETTERS_21B,FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D,FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_DB,RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET,RCVD_IN_DOB,RCVD_IN_PBL,RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL,RDNS_DYNAMIC,STOX_REPLY_TYPE,SUBJECT_DRUG_GAP_C,SUBJ_ALL_CAPS,TVD_FINGER_02,TVD_RCVD_IP,URIBL_JP_SURBL,URIBL_RHS_DOB,URIBL_SC_SURBL scantime=0.3,size=1175,user=lfadmin,uid=99,required_score=5.0,rhost=localhost,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=36359,mid=<7be401c7b34c$037abdc4$16c37854@m-34ba1223de6b4>,autolearn=failed
    Would be very grateful for any pointers to sort this out.

2. ncrossland

ncrossland Member

I was having a few problems like this -- it seems to have resolved itself (so far) after I went to Exim Configuration Editor and saved -- it regenerated the exim.conf which seems to have resolved the issues.

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suspect that this is because spamassassin is running as the nobody user and the directory structure of the .spamassassin folder in the user's home directory is not set up for this.

See my thread at:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=68596

According to the bugzilla entry this has been corrected, but I have not seen where it has been corrected.

At any rate if you see permission denied errors like this in your maillog see who spamd is running as:

ps auxfwge | grep spamd

If it shows up as running as nobody then this would be your problem.

If you use /scripts/restartsrv_spamd to restart SpamAssassin then it will run as nobody and cause problems. If you restart SpamAssassin with exim using /scripts/restartsrv_exim then it will run as root. I'm not yet sure what user it should be running as, but it needs to run as one user and only as one user in order to avoid these conflicts.

4. ncrossland

ncrossland Member

It's possible this fixes the problem because when you reset exim it restarts spamd as root. if it was to be restarted with the other script again it wouldn't be solved any more.

5. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have set SpamAssassin to be on Globally via WHM/Exim Configuration Editor, then individual users_pref will not take effect I don't think.

I think when you set SpamAssassin to globally be on, it bypasses all domain-specific SA configuration. I could be wrong, somebody might have to correct me.

Mike

6. Morley

Morley Well-Known Member

auto-whitelist error

I know this is old but I am having these issues also and have not found a fix yet.

error

Code:
    auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.serv.mydomain.com.32472 for /.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory
    WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.0-S20595

Thanks

7. abadaba

abadaba Registered
    PartnerNOC

Yes i too am receiving the above errors in the log as well. It seems all spam is now getting through, and not being marked ***SPAM***. Everything is now hitting my INBOX and i'm not to happy with it.

8. zosorock

zosorock Member

Did anyone find a solution for this? I am having the same problem. Thanks in advance!

9. jcorreia

jcorreia Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have the same problem..
    Does anybody has a fix ?

10. Morley

Morley Well-Known Member

Not I. I'm still having the same issue. :(

11. jcorreia

Like anyone said on some other post ir is related always with the same message :
    #tail -3000 /var/log/maillog | grep -C 2 "cannot create tmp lockfile"

Jun 4 19:48:59 server spamd[1966]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile /.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.server.***.1966 for /.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: Permission denied
    Jun 4 19:48:59 server spamd[1966]: spamd: identified spam (1003.5/5.0) for root:99 in 5.2 seconds, 834 bytes.
    Jun 4 19:48:59 server spamd[1966]: spamd: result: Y 1003 - DCC_CHECK,GTUBE,NO_RECEIVED,NO_RELAYS scantime=5.2,size=834,user=root,uid=99,required_score=5.0,rhost=localhost,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=50016,mid=<GTUBE1.1010101@example.net>,autolearn=no,shortcircuit=no

It´s always the GTUBE check...maybe this can help anybody to find a solution.

12. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

This is normal and won't cause an issue as long as its only on the gtube check.

13. jcorreia

maybe not so normal as it might seem because my host support (hostforweb) did fix it for me ;)

They said that "The problem with tmp lockfile has been fixed. Thehere was no permission to create files in the /.spamassassin directory."

To whom might interest this are my folder permissions :

drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jun 5 00:02 .spamassassin/

and inside :

root@server [/.spamassassin]# ls -la
    total 48
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jun 5 08:30 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 May 26 09:27 ../
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 12288 Jun 5 08:30 auto-whitelist
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 12288 May 5 14:41 bayes_seen
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 12288 May 5 14:41 bayes_toks
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1487 May 5 13:29 user_prefs

14. bkeep

bkeep Member

To clarify just a little bit as I was getting the same error. When I looked in the ./spamassassin folder I did not have the additional files noted in the above post and only had to change the permissions on the ./

just do
    Code:
    chmod 777 /.spamassassin/./