The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spamassassin works for a while then dies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freedman, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. freedman

    freedman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    Messages:
    312
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    for the last couple days, spamassassin has been causing quite a bit of problems.

    what it seems to do is work for a while, then server load slowly climbs very high, then I start getting the following messages in the log:
    2006-07-05 09:01:45 1Fy9oF-0002Nc-3j spam acl condition: error reading from spamd socket: Connection reset by peer
    2006-07-05 09:01:45 1Fy9oF-0002Nc-3j spam acl condition: warning - spamd connection to 127.0.0.1, port 783 failed: Connection refused
    2006-07-05 09:01:45 1Fy9oF-0002Nc-3j spam acl condition: all spamd servers failed


    so Ill run /scripts/restartsrv spamd

    then it'll work perfectly for a little while then fail again.

    I havn't done extensive log review to see if it happens after a fixed number of messages or fixed amount of time, but if it's absolutely necessary to debug the problem, I can do that.

    Any thoughts?

    I did /scripts/perlinstaller --force Mail::SpamAssassin

    I also rebuilt the razor from cratch, and reinstalled all the relevant perl modules I could think of.

    it works fine on my other cpanel servers, and their configurations are all identical.
     
  2. freedman

    freedman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    Messages:
    312
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    found more info diggin around the web

    so I did a bit more digging, seems there was some redundancy in my config.
    I was using the SA_BLACKLIST config which is duplicated in the new URIBL functionality.
    In addition, the bayes features in the new version are problematic
    it was suggested multiple places to disable it, but I think the problem is related to the updating of the keys.

    SA will periodicaly try to expire the bayes keys, however, this wasn't working.

    to test on your server run manually:
    sa-learn --force-expire

    I got errors.. which meant that sa was going to encounter errors when it tried to automatically expire these things which could explain why the cpu would slowly climb then spamd would come to a screeching halt.

    I did the following to fix that:
    /scripts/perlinstaller Mail::DomainKeys
    /scripts/perlinstaller Email::Address

    seems the server loads been staying pretty low for a while now...

    so I'll report back if that didn't solve the problem.
     
Loading...

Share This Page