The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpamAssassin

Discussion in 'Security' started by ozzieonline, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ozzieonline

ozzieonline Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wow, this configuring of a server takes more time than I expected!

Well, another question. I set Roundcube as my default webmail program and disabled Horde and Squirrel mail. Now I try to enable SpamAssassin. So I clicked on the button to enable it. So far, so good!

Well, here comes the problem. According to the documentation there should be an option to send e-mails that are marked as spam to the "spam" directory of the mail program. (I do not want to delete e-mails that are marked as spam.) However, I never get the option to enable this ("Enable the Spam Box") functionality. This option can be nowhere found!!! What am I missing?

Anyone?

#1 ozzieonline, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is there an icon in your cPanel titled Spam Assassin?

3. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, there is. Like I said, I was able to enable it. However, I can't find the option to enable the spam box. Documentation says there should be an option to send spam mail to the spam folder (instead of deleting it). This option doesn't seem to be there. Where is it?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can enable the spam box by turning "Enable SpamAssassin Spam Box delivery for messages marked as spam (user configurable)" on in Home ┬╗ Server Configuration ┬╗Tweak Settings. The default for the setting is off.

This is documented here:

Tweak Settings

That explains how to enable the spam box so it is available to cPanel users. This explains how cPanel users can enable it on their individual accounts:

SpamAssassin

5. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks cPanelJared! That was exactly the answer I was looking for! The setting was disabled in WHM. That's why it didn't show up in cPanel.

So SpamAssasin is enabled now. I disabled the automatic deletion of e-mails, and I enabled the SpamBox functionality. Also I adjusted the "required_score" value in the configuration options to 8. That is all I did.

I want to offer my clients webmail. If they get spam-mail I want it to be send to their spam folder. Did i make all the required settings for this to happen? Am I done now?

6. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Figuring out my question in the post above this one, I stumbled upon another question:

I send myself a spam e-mail. However, the mail didn't show up in Roundcube's spam folder. I logged in on the server and noticed a ".spam" folder was created (by SpamAssassin ) which contained the specific spam-mail. I found out that in Roundcube I had to subscribe to this spam folder. And so I did. This resulted in having 2 spam folders in Roundcube, one named "Spam" (with a capital S, this is the default spam folder) and one named "spam" (the new spam folder I subscribed to). My spam mail was now visible in the new "spam" folder. The problem is there were 2 spam folders in Roundcube now. In Roundcube's settings I was able to assign the default "Spam" folder to the new created "spam" folder. Now the problem seems solved. Only the default Spam folder is visible, and the spam e-mail is visible in it.

Allright... I can imagine that you are wondering what my question is. Well, the question is... is there a possibility to assign the SpamAssassin "spam" folder to Roundcube's default Spam folder AUTOMATICALLY. I don't like to make the adjustments as described above to each e-mail account I create. When I create a new e-mailaccount, I want Roundcube's default Spam directory to be assigned to SpamAssassin 's spam box. Can anyone help me with this?

(I hope my question is clear. If not, please say so!)

#6 ozzieonline, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012