The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spambox, boxtrapper not visible

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by shacker23, Dec 19, 2010.

1. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

In Tweak Settings, I have enabled both spambox and boxtrapper. My understanding is that these should appear in user cPanels. But they don't - cPanel SpamAssassin settings panel shows no trace of them. Any idea what could be suppressing them? Thanks.

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    These are really bad practice; the automated replies from boxtrapper etc will actually get you listed as a source of spam. Recommend strongly you avoid them, otherwise you are opening up a world of pain for yourself.

3. shacker23

Hi Brian -

I can see how boxtrapper could be problematic. Thanks for that, good advice and I've disabled it. But how could giving users a server-side box to store spam in result in anyone being listed as a source of spam?

So, half of my original question remains: In Tweak Settings I have enabled "Enable SpamAssassin Spam Box delivery for messages marked as spam (user configurable)." But where does the cPanel user now go to enable/configure their spambox? Other threads imply that it should show up in the SpamAssassin section of their cPanel, but nope - not a trace of it. Thanks for a clue.

4. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I completely understand; there was a time when I thought boxtrapper was a great idea too!

If you read the threads around, you'll find that most people turn it on for a while (2-6 months I think) and then start to get problems and turn it off.

The problems come in that it sends email back when it gets an email. Some emails are spam, with false senders who didn't actually send those spam emails. When these innocent people get the boxtrapper emails, they mark them as spam in their inbox, which can then cause the originating IP (yours) to be listed in RBL (blacklist) sources. Ends up creating a lot more work for everyone.

Greylisting is another idea that sounds good, but is very hard to implement well. There are people on both sides of the camp, some say it's a liability, some say it's been OK.

Nolisting is a good idea and we've had results of 30-60% spam reduction - give it a try if you run your own server. (Google it to see how to do it) Probably worth it only on domains that are getting hammered with spam.

5. shacker23

brianoz - All very interesting, but I think you're misunderstanding my question. Again, *I have disabled boxtrapper* .

But I do want the simple ability to have suspected spam stored in a server-side mailbox. That's completely separate from boxtrapper - no sending or verification involved. That's where spambox comes in. Once again, the question is: Once I enable spambox for everyone, where do they go to enable/configure it?

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The SpamAssassin Spam Box can be activated using cPanel via the following navigational menu path (with linked documentation): cPanel: Mail >> Spam Assassin™

The cPanel BoxTrapper Spam Trap is normally accessible via the following navigational menu path (with linked documentation): cPanel: Mail >> BoxTrapper

If neither feature is displayed in cPanel, please verify that your feature lists have the desired features allowed via WebHost Manager (WHM): WHM: Main >> Packages >> Feature Manager >> Edit a Feature List

Here are the names of the Feature List entries as shown in WHM Feature Manager:
    • BoxTrapper Spam Trap
    • SpamAssassin
    • SpamAssassin Spam Box

#6 cPanelDon, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. shacker23

Sure enough, Spam Box was on my Disabled Features list. All fixed, thanks!

While I've got you, a pair of related questions:

1) Will Spam Box gain the ability to auto-delete messages after n days sometime in the future?

2) Is there a way for end users to train Spamassassin about false negatives/positives? Either a special mailbox people can forward to, or an IMAP box they can drag spam/ham to?

Thanks,
    Scot

8. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    1.) If using Courier (and not Dovecot) for IMAP/POP3, there is a configuration option labeled IMAP Empty Trash consisting of a list of folders and per-folder expiration time frames, counted in days before messages within each folder are emptied. In Courier this is typically used for the "Trash" folder in IMAP, but the folder list is customizable and may include others, including "spam" (for the SpamAssassin Spam Box), "Junk" or any other folder name needed. This configuration directive can be safely customized using WebHost Manager (WHM) via the following menu path: WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> Mailserver Configuration

Related configuration file paths:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd
    /var/cpanel/courierconfig.yaml
    2.) I am fairly certain it is possible to accomplish, but I am not aware of the precise implementation needed. I recommend searching to see what solutions others may have come up with. I recommend to also search the official SpamAssassin web site and to consider inquiring via the SpamAssassin Users mailing list for ideas.

9. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re emptying out the messages -

You could put a line in your crontab to remove older files - eg: for address@domain.com:

Code:
    find mail/domain.com/address -type f -mtime +30 -print | xargs rm -f

That would remove all files older than 30 days from address@domain.com, where obviously that email address would be replaced with the spambox details. If you wanted to be a little more precise, you could remove files from just the cur and new directories, which might be a little safer:

Code:
    find mail/domain.com/address/cur mail/domain.com/address/new -type f -mtime +30 -print | xargs rm -f

Note that you don't need to include /home/account as cron runs the commands from the account's home directory.

Hope this helps, seasons greetings.

10. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I would consider adjusting the "find" command as follows:
    1. Remove the usage of -print and pipe to xargs:
      Code:
      -print | xargs rm -f
    2. Replace with the following:
      Code:
      -exec rm -fv '{}' \;

11. shacker23

cPanelDon - Brilliant! I had no idea that setting was there. That'll fill the bill perfectly. Thanks also brianoz - I totally would have done a cron-based solution if WHM didn't already have that feature built in. Really nice.

I'll do some reading on ways to train SA on false hits and reply here if I find something good.

Thanks both.

12. brianoz

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don, that's way inferior - much slower. xargs builds up a list of arguments and only runs rm when the buffer fills up. Perhaps it's a little old fashioned these days, now that machines are so much faster ...

Slightly tighter version might be: ... -print0 | xargs -0 ...

Smarter yet might be to use the -delete option to find, I've actually never used it but I think it would probably be the best option:
    Code:
    find mail/domain.com/address -type f -mtime +30 -delete
    The -delete option would be the fastest yet, and perhaps the cleanest in code.

13. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I've found that piping to xargs did not always work for clearing an extremely large number of files from a directory while using find's built-in "-exec" option did not have any trouble; however, I understand different needs may require different solutions. :)