The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamcops reporting bounces as spam, how do I stop bounces?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BianchiDude, Apr 20, 2007.

1. BianchiDude

BianchiDude Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Spamcops reporting bounces as spam, how do I stop bounces?

We suggesting that they shouldn't be resporting bounces as spam and if anything they should be blocked themselves for sending the email that generated the bounce, they said they would report them as spam each and everytime and directed me to this URL:
    http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html

I am on several blacklists because of this and when I request delisting they end up listing me again.

Please tell me how I can set exim.conf to disable bounces so I can stop tyrantical spamcops from going block crazy on me.

IMHO these block happy spamcops are worse than actual spammers, if this continues, pretty soon they will have the whole internet blocked.

#1 BianchiDude, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. hekri

hekri Well-Known Member

The same problem any one from cPanel could reply?

3. teksupportrena

Hi,

Anti-spam services, such as SpamCop, gather reports depending on the email
    content, subject line, sender address, recipient address, the frequency of
    emails etc. And based on the report they publish the names of those machines (IP) on a "blacklist."

So, first please take care to make your server secure. Ensure that no more spams are generated from it.

If you wish you can filter these bounced "undelivered" messages we have set filter rules. So, your mailbox will not get flooded by these mailer-daemon error messages. To set filters see the instructions.
    http://www.cpanel.net/support/docs/11/cpanel/mail_filters.html

4. hekri

hekri Well-Known Member

Spamcop report that someone put bounces as spam:

HTML:
    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

x
        mailbox is full: retry timeout exceeded

someone send email to my server propabbly spammer put into FROM email someone email addres and thise someone get bounce and report it as a spam :(

5. tvcnet

tvcnet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Just following up since this is a major issue in our server network as well.

This is not a user issue, so the comment about setting "rules" seems a bit out of place.

I think the question is very legitimate. The real world problems:

1. Exim bounces email with the spam message in body or attached.
    This is not appropriate since all spam is sent from bad/forged email addresses (OK, this may have been a reasonable standard back in the 90's...).

* Methods to cut the spam body out of bounces, or abridge bounces anyone?

2. Spammers overload servers by sending spam from forged email addresses, causing email delays in cpanel and similar problems at the innocent forged email address/server end (aka Joe Job's). Please, no need to argue that RFC standard XXX says you should, yada yada. Yea, we know...

* Methods to silently drop hated "No Such User Here" messages filling up our outgoing queue?

I have to imagine this is everyone's single biggest annoyance-- monitoring email queues and real time blacklist removal requests.

Best Regards,
    Jim

keyword: ndr spam

#5 tvcnet, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  6. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In regards to the error about the mailbox being full, one question to ask is why is the mailbox full?

Is the user checking that mailbox regularly? If so, then it shouldn't be full. If a user uses POP3 to download messages from the server and they check this mailbox regularly then the mailbox won't reach its quota. If the user checks the mailbox with IMAP or with Webmail, then the messages are designed to stay on the server and regardless of what quota limit you put on the mailbox, its going to reach that quota.

If the user is not regularly checking the mailbox, then why is it set up? If you are not checking a mailbox then it should be deleted and ideally you would have your default address set to discard messages so that mail sent to this address would automatically be discarded.

7. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

Set the default non-existent behavior to fail instead of reject for all domains. This can be found under the Default Address screen in cPanel. It needs to be set to Discard with error to sender, and you can chose some random error message such as 'no such user here'.