spamd child eating 100% of Cpu help

vidarn

Jun 22, 2007
I'm also experiencing high cpu usage from a spamd child, for one specific user. I tried
upgrading to spamassassin 3.2.4 (already had perl 5.8.8) but it's still using ~90% cpu
for this one user. The account has a 350mb quota and using 340mb, but I really feel
cPanel servers should handle near-full or full accounts better.

Or does anyone have another suggestion what the problem is?
(and hopefully a solution:) )

sweetsteve

Sep 22, 2006
I'm also experiencing high cpu usage from a spamd child, for one specific user. I tried
upgrading to spamassassin 3.2.4 (already had perl 5.8.8) but it's still using ~90% cpu
for this one user. The account has a 350mb quota and using 340mb, but I really feel
cPanel servers should handle near-full or full accounts better.

Or does anyone have another suggestion what the problem is?
(and hopefully a solution:) )
My one user had plenty of quota, but lots of messages stored. I asked them to clean it up. Once they removed about half their messages, it seems the problem is better. Spamd still sucks up 90% of CPU, but now it does it for a very short time instead of hanging around.

The programmers need to look at ways to release some of the processor when running in loops. I'm not a linux programmer, but there must be some type of sleep or yield function that will allow other processes to have some of the cpu.

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
My one user had plenty of quota, but lots of messages stored. I asked them to clean it up. Once they removed about half their messages, it seems the problem is better. Spamd still sucks up 90% of CPU, but now it does it for a very short time instead of hanging around.

The programmers need to look at ways to release some of the processor when running in loops. I'm not a linux programmer, but there must be some type of sleep or yield function that will allow other processes to have some of the cpu.
The root of the problem problem is the berkley db library. Since this is a core system library the problem can only be worked around, not solved. The most critical bug in the library has been solved in db-4.3 which is included with rhel5/centos5. I'd recommend upgrading to a os that has db-4.3 or later.

Centos4/RHEL4 currently deploy db-4.2 which has a serious deadlock with file locking.

# rpm -q db4
db4-4.2.52-7.3.el4

xprt5

Apr 6, 2003
Houston
Yes, depending on what OS your using. Upgrading your Operating System to the latest version which should have db-4.2 as Nick suggested.

meonsite

Aug 10, 2006
I have Cent OS5 and have this problem. I ran the db repair script suggested and it has at least temporarily gone away. It only happens on one account, the account has about 40 domains parked on it and I do not need any of the email. I blackholed all the default addresses and turned off spam assassin in this account. Hopefully this all works..

Radio_Head

Verifed Vendor
Feb 15, 2002
There are alternatives to spamd :rolleyes: . ASSP uses about 6% (or below) of your cpu and it's more efficient of
spamassasin.

Last edited by a moderator: