The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamd keeps failing since upgrade to 11

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by EricG, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. EricG

    EricG Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hi,

    Yesterday morning I ran /scripts/upcp --force in the hope it would fix a problem I had with WHM. To my surprise, it upgraded cPanel to version 11 which I didn't expect. My host told me it's not an option to go back to 10 so I check here and did what was recommended for a smooth transition.

    I upgraded Perl to 5.8.8, I converted my mailbox from mbox to maildir, upgraded "YAML::Syck" and "File::Copy::Recurisve:", I added a cron job to run "/usr/bin/sa-update --nogpg --channel saupdates.openprotect.com" and this morning I converted from mbox to maildir.

    Now my problem is that since the upgrade to 11 yesterday morning, spamd has been failing every 8 minutes or so. I don't see any errors in /var/log/maillog except that it has been killed by SIGTERM.

    I don't know where to look !
     
    #1 EricG, Jun 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  2. EricG

    EricG Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    I checked the exim_paniclog file.

    2007-06-11 10:00:44 1HxkRS-00023P-JX spam acl condition:warning - spamd connection to 127.0.0.1, port 783 failed: Connection refused
    2007-06-11 10:00:44 1HxkRS-00023P-JX spam acl condition: all spamd servers failed
    2007-06-12 07:32:53 1Hy4cG-0006hR-QG spam acl condition:warning - spamd connection to 127.0.0.1, port 783 failed: Connection refused
    2007-06-12 07:32:53 1Hy4cG-0006hR-QG spam acl condition: all spamd servers failed
     
  3. EricG

    EricG Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    I've followed the procedure I found in this forum to downgrade spamassassin to 3.1.8 and now it works. Obviously it's gonna be upgraded again tonight and I'll be screwed again. Is there a fix for this ?
     
  4. The WebDruid

    The WebDruid Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Stick the magical fix in your /scripts/postupcp file.

    Mine looks like:

     
  5. EricG

    EricG Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    I tried that manually 2 days ago and it worked, now it doesn't anymore. Somehow I ended up with something taking port 783 and I don't know what it is. nmap shows hp-alarm-mgr :confused:

    When I just type "spamd" I get this;
    [2831] error: spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address already in use
    spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address already in use

    I googled "hp-alarm-mgr", didn't find much about this but it seems that it should be running on port 383, I don't know what to do here.
     
  6. EricG

    EricG Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Is anybody a cPanel working on this problem ? I've been asking questions here for 3 days now and nobody from cPanel bothered to reply. I had my host fix the problem for me yesterday and after last night's cPanel updates the problem came back.

    I was not having any problems until I moved to cPanel 11, everything was working just fine. I am not trying to be rude here, I would just like to know if anything is being done about it, I can't have my host fix the same problem every morning for me.

    Edit: This is what my host told me yesterday.

    The problem comes from the way cPanel checks if spamd is up and running. Basically it sends a message to spamc (which sends it to spamd via a unix sock) and it checks to see if the result contains in the header a line indicating the email was tagged as spam. However spamassassin (probably not trained) does not tag the email as spam (it only adds a line saying it was checked) so the script is reporting spamd down (though is not which can been seen from the headers). So I've replaced that line with the correct one.
     
    #6 EricG, Jun 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page