The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamd Startup Configuration - spamdconf tips ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Nov 21, 2005.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I just enabled spamdconf on my server but only see a few options. Anyone find any need to adjust things like Maximum Children, Allowed IPs, Maximum Connections Perl Child ?.

Anyone play with these settings and find some sweet config that really improves performance or security ?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference, except spamd is still something of a memory hog, so the best setting I find is to drop the number of initial children to 2. More will run up if needed then and the large amount of memory they consume will be kept down on servers with slower email throughput.

3. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

We disabled SPAMD completely from all our servers. Its a waste of resources to run. If you are already using SURBL + SA and scanning all messages serverwide why would you want to again pass on a message to a user so it can be scanned a second time? :confused:

Since we scan every message, once is enough therefore our users dont need SA enabled from their control panel and messages dont get scanned a second time. SPAMD is a complete waste of system resources and most of the time it runs in the high 80%.

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Whats involved to getting SURBL + SA running. I am very comfortable with Freebsd and have full console control, is this something that really helps ?. I would love to dump spamd if there is something faster and cleaner.