The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spamhaus PBL sudden increase in hits for Verizon ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Nov 3, 2008.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Is anyone else seeing a sudden big increase in hits for zen.spamhaus.org for the Verizon FIOS network?.

We have had "Reject mail at SMTP time if the sender host is in the zen.spamhaus.org rbl" enabled for a very long time and suddenly this weekend we are getting tons of calls from customers who use FIOS and they cannot send through us anymore due to hits on the PBL at Spamhaus.

Right now I made a sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org replacement so we can get around this as most of my customers dont have a clue how to resolve this without me walking them through it in their smtp settings.

#1 nyjimbo, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

verizon have been categorised as one of the most spammy networks known at the moment.

They are third in senderbase's list atm see: http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/main

With that said, if your users are using smtp_auth they should bypass the RBL checks in exim

3. BuffaloWeb

BuffaloWeb Well-Known Member

FYI, we are seeing the same for Time Warner/Roadrunner, as well as Sprint. I think this makes the PBL pretty much a disaster. Can Cpanel not allow us to specify only SBL-XBL in Main >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor? Instead of ZEN (SBL + XBL + PBL)? Considering the trouble that PBL is causing, why not provide an option to not use it?

4. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

You will have to add another RBL config from the exim configuration editor, for sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org and untick zen

5. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I agree. PBL is ok for spam scoring, but NOT for blocking.
    I understand the reason for PBL (assuming it would be to slow down the spread of zombie spam), but as a Block on smtp, it's a bit harsh for a block.

6. BuffaloWeb

BuffaloWeb Well-Known Member