The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Special FTP setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heymrdj, Sep 25, 2005.

1. heymrdj

heymrdj Registered

Here's my situation. My host runs on a shared IP so i can't use anonymous FTP. How would I set up an FTP so users can't go off deleting my files? Or better yet how I would lock my chmod from other users changing it. I have these folders of files. I have to create a custom FTP account that allows connection to just the FTP folder I made. But when I make this that gives them full rights to the folder. So to counteract that I chmoded the folder to 500 so it could only be read and executed but no one could delete anything. but then after error proofing it I found out that with just about any free FTP client people could change the chmod then delete it to be hateful. (there has been alot of that happening all of a sudden). So basically is there any way I could make those extra FTP accounts I created of a lower status than my main ftp account that comes with my hosting. That way I could make that group into others and chmod them from being able to delete. Of course I don't have to go this route. if anyone has any ideas on how to get by this plz let me know. Thank You

2. heymrdj

heymrdj Registered

Let me rephrase the question just in case my last post was a little confusing. Is there any way to change FTP permissions so that people can download and upload without being able to delete files. Cause I tried chmod but of course anyone using a FTP client can change the chmod and then be able to wreak all the havok they wanted.