The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speed up EA by up to 20x

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by qwerty, Dec 23, 2014.

1. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

Came accross this recently couldn't help but share it here
    /http://blog.unixy.net/2013/04/speed-up-cpanel-whm-easyapache-rebuilds-on-multi-core-or-multi-thread-server/

I changed the "j2" to j18 as I have dual 8-core cpu's and my EA rebuild went from 25-30 minutes to approx 2-3 minutes.

The only thing I did different to the above is the step where he recompiles apache/php - I just did the normal /scripts/easyapache

Anyhoo ... IMO this should be an option in EA or WHM somewhere, to specify how many threads we want to use. Most servers nowadays are multi-cpu or at the very least multi-core. My load didn't go above 1.0 during the EA with 18 threads running (on dual 8 core servers) so it's not like this hammers the server in any way, it just allows it to use the available resources ie. cores/threads.

Seems like a complete waste to do 1 thing at a time if we have 16 cores sitting mostly idle.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. cPJacob

cPJacob cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Hi,

While in theory this is a good idea, most EasyApache runs aren't done on idle servers. Adjusting the number of cores that make uses could cause a server to crash if it's already overloaded. This is a good tweak however for those wanting to use multiple cores during original installation.

4. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

I ran it with 18 threads on a busy server and loads never went above 1.

This is probably because most of the compilation tasks are very trivial and easy for modern cpus to process in no time.