The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding Up Pop3 Downloads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krystalx, Jun 1, 2005.

1. krystalx

krystalx Active Member

Heyas,

I just want to ask peoples views on speeding up pop3 downloads. I used to use plesk and it was lightning fast to get them.

I can download from the server with ftp and get good stable speeds at about 20k a second.

The reasons i ask is i downloaded 190 email messages today which were all text and no more than 200k in total but it took a while to download them.

Before anyone says anything about the resolv.conf mine looks like this

nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 72.x.x.x - my first nameserver ip
    nameserver 72.x.x.x - my second nameserver ip
    nameserver 62.x.x.x - external backup one

I only added 127.0.0.1 to see if things speed up but it does not change things it was not there before and the problem still exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    kx

2. djmerlyn

djmerlyn Well-Known Member

Get a faster internet connection?

I regularily receive large files (ie; MP3/Video) at upwards of 5mb+ and download takes about 30-45 seconds some times 2 minutes on a bad day.

Grabbing your stuff via FTP at 20kb/second kinda says you have a crappy internet connection.

3. krystalx

krystalx Active Member

Let me explain,

My server hosting is in a noc in florida USA. I am in Melbourne Australia,

I have a 1.5 meg connection at home which pulls in about 150k all around australia, anything overseas can range from 10-120k downloads.

My previous server was in the same noc and was running plesk 7.5 it was perfect speed and nothing to do with the internet connection.

This server is now running cpanel but with slower pop3 downloads.

I think it has something to do with the amount of packets cpanel pop3 allows out at one time.

If anyone has any advice or ideas please feel free to help out here.

Thanks
    kx

4. djmerlyn

djmerlyn Well-Known Member

Cpanel is not the mail server. Exim is. Plesk uses qmail by default (or used to).

But you're saying you're download from FTP at 20K/second. Then mail is likely the same.

So, perhaps your server is in the same datacenter, but different pipeline. Why not trace the route to your server and see whats happening in the network and why its so slow (since 2 different services are running slow, this is likely a network issue even if you don't like that answere).

Ofcourse, thats assuming you've set your server up right (unless your hosted, then you need to contact your host, not here).

You might do a "forum search" for your question and check out the many answeres already available to you.

Here's one for starters: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=24598&highlight=pop3+slow