The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPF and DKIM issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by magicalwonders, Sep 9, 2014.

1. magicalwonders

magicalwonders Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have recently switched to a new VPS with another host, but have had a lot of trouble getting SPF and DKIM to pass authentication. This was eventually achieved with my last host, but it's something that seems to defeat the average technician. :(

The domain is on a dedicated IP address, and currently after several frustrating days, with SPF and DKIM test reports showing temperror or neutral, I am now getting the following -

The test message to my Yahoo address report the following in relation to DomainKeys check -

I have asked my host to fix the DomainKeys check result , but they have responded with the following advice -

Do I need to raise a support ticket with cPanel for this, or is this something the host should be able get working? I didn't have this issue on my old VPS running WHM, but it may have been an earlier version of the software. Has a bug crept in to cause this problem?

Hope someone can advise.

Many thanks,

Myles

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I might be wrong, but didn't cPanel do away with domainkeys support in favor of DKIM -- rather than supporting both?

I'm thinking they may have. I remember when various domainkey scripts had been renamed to reflect dkim. On cPanel, you might not have an option for domainkeys support. I think their take was that it was outdated and defunct.

m

3. magicalwonders

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know. My online mail accounts, Yahoo, Hotmail etc, are still trying to validate Domain Keys.

I found this recent reference (April) in another forum from someone with same problem -

I'm happy to give this a go, but I'm not sure where to change the value from "Simple" to "relaxed" ? Can you point me in the right direction? :)

Edit. Just spotted they are referring to dkim and not domain keys in their solution. Although their original post was about the domain keys!

#3 magicalwonders, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Are you positive the lack of a domain keys record is the reason you are not passing Yahoo Mail's SPAM check? While they may check for both DKIM and Domain Keys, I would presume that DKIM is acceptable and the domain keys check is intended for mail servers without DKIM.

Thank you.

5. magicalwonders

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My mail does appear to be getting through and the checks pass on SPF, DKIM and Sender-ID. However the Domain Keys check is returning as Neutral. I used to get a pass on this with my old hosting, but I haven't checked in a long time. I suppose it's possible it changed from Pass to Neutral at some point? But that doesn't feel right to me.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It makes sense to notice this change because DKIM replaced Domain Keys in cPanel. You could always contact Yahoo's mail support team to verify if that's acceptable.

Thank you.

7. magicalwonders

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK. Good idea. I'll contact them and see what they have to say. :)

Many thanks,

Myles