The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPF and forwarding mail to a Gmail-account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by kservik, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kservik

kservik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do I properly set up SPF on a domain hosted on a server with cpanel, while still beeing able to securly forwarding all email to my personal Gmail account?

Have anyone successfully done this?

Kim

2. koolcards

koolcards Well-Known Member

Edit the DNS zone file for the server's domain i.e., if the server is "fred.freddomain.com", edit the domain file for "freddomain.com".
    Enter the resulting text record you generate from the free "Publishing SPF Records" tool at http://www.openspf.org/

3. kservik

kservik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sending from a Gmail account

I need to add the Gmail data in the SPF record for the domain I am using, so that sending email from within Gmail works fine.

I have also read that there is some issues forwarding email to Gmail with SPF enabled.

4. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you already activated SPF and/or DomainKeys via the Cpanel / Email Authentication Menu? If not - start there or if you already did that and it won't work it will help posting more details.

#4 lorio, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  5. kservik

kservik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Tha cpanel part works fine.

Its sending emails from Gmail that is the issue. I need to include the information of Gmail in my SPF records. I have yet to find this information to accurately update the SPF record. Have anyone found the information to add?

There is also a problem of Gmail accepting any forwarded email from the Cpanel email account. There is a supposedly a problem with this. Gmail silently sends it into a blackhole. But I will do some more testing on this to see if I can replicate it.

6. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    add include:google.com to your SPF record.

Mike

7. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is the issue with sending emails FROM Gmail? The second issue is not receiving forwarded message at your Gmail account. But what is the problem with sending from Gmail?

8. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If he uses -all and then sets up his Gmail account so that it can send mail out as user@one_of_his_cpanel_domains.com, then remote servers that get that mail are going to say "hey, SPF records indicate that this host (google) is not allowed to send mail as user@one_of_his_cpanel_domains.com unless he specifies in the SPF record that it is okay for Google mailservers to be sending mail as user@one_of_his_cpanel_domains.com.

From what I gather, he wants to be able to only use his Gmail account (configured to allow sending from one or more non-gmail addresses) and wants to make sure that remote servers are going to find his @one_of_his_cpanel_domains.com emails acceptable when they are sent via Google's mail system.

Mike

9. kservik

kservik Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is correct, Mike! Thanks for explaining it more accurately :)

10. wemail

wemail Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Presumably the reference a few posts above about "issues forwarding email to Gmail with SPF enabled" refers to the fact that the cPanel Exim still does not support SRS (Sender Rewriting Scheme)?

It is not all that well-publicized that SPF "breaks" forwarding UNLESS one has a working SRS in operation.

I have seen evidence that Googlemail is itself using an apparent variant of SRS, but the resulting rewritten sender looks a bit garbled to me! Has anybody else noticed any problem with Exim accepting such emails?