Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SPF record contents

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by m.eid, Apr 26, 2019.

1. m.eid

m.eid Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi, I want to use SPF record for mail deliverability, and as I read from many articles that it has to contain the hosts or ips allowed to send email, my questions are,
    Is this record “v=spf1 +mx +a +ip4:x.x.x.x ~all” required as it suggested from CPanel in account?

• mx point to same ip4:x.x.x.x, is it enough to use mx or also I have to use ip?
    • a record is proxied by CloudFlare, is it required?
    • if mx record is mail.domain.com and host name is hs.domain.com, have I to put the hostname of the server together with mail.domain.com since both refer to same VPS or not?
    • is it recommended to use -all rather than ~all since just this mail server who allowed to use the email?
      I want the best recommendation for record to be used and no issues will be faced in future.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'd include the IP for good measure in the event you ever modify anything but it's not mandatory here

Nope this isn't required just a general rule of thumb

I wouldn't use the hostname I would use the domain name and mail.domain.com if the IP address is different than the domain's

So, initially I would use ~ but once you're sure the record in place meets your needs then I would proceed to use -

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. m.eid

m.eid Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thank you for your reply, at Email Deliverability Page I find it says
    "Mail HELO
    hs.domain.com"
    and in the header of the emails it includes from: hs.domain.com
    so if I want to reduce the record but make it correctly, can I use it like this ?
    v=spf1 +mx ~all
    since mx point to x.x.x.x , and if hs.domain.com points for CloudFlare ips rather than origin server ip, will it make any conflicts for it?
    is it safer to put both mx and hostname to avoid ip mismatch?
    Thank you in advanced

#3 m.eid, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I would include A record since it's also using the CloudLinux IPs which are different than the MX IP's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...