The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPF Record Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by nootkan, Apr 25, 2016.

1. nootkan

nootkan Well-Known Member

Just noticed that some of my spf records are different than others and wanted to confirm the proper way to add them. I have two ip addresses associated with ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.

I see these two spf records and my gut is telling me to use the second one for all domains but just wanted to confirm this or not. I added the ns1 and ns2 for clarification but only the ip addresses show in the text box.

"v=spf1 ip4:ns1 ipaddress +a +mx ~all"
    "v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:ns1 ipaddress +ip4:ns2 ipaddress ~all"

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The SPF record configured by cPanel will use the main server IP address. This is by design. The use of "+a" and "+mx" in the SPF record accounts for the possibility the domain name is assigned a dedicated IP address. You can enable the SPF record via cPanel for a test account to see the format that's used by default.

Thank you.

nootkan likes this.
  3. nootkan

nootkan Well-Known Member

Michael, thanks for your reply. Yes I know the default format used by cPanel is the first example I provided. I just wanted to know if there was any advantage or if it was necessary to use example number two when I have two different ips assigned to my nameservers on my dedicated server. Was hoping someone here may have a little more experience and knowledge than I in this field and provide some guidance. I am researching the issue as we speak also.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator