The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPF records Questions

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tribey2, Feb 4, 2015.

1. tribey2

tribey2 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

So I've recently made the jump from shared hosting to my own VPS with Godaddy, and all seems to be going pretty well. But I have always had issues with spam on my email accounts (emails from my domain ending up in other peoples spam folders), and so figured it was a good time to sort my SPF records.

I have tried a tonne of things, spoken to Godaddy support, followed tutorials, used wizards - everything, and yet I still can't seem to work it out. I think I've been looking at it so long now that it's all just blurred together.

I think the main reason I am getting confused is Godaddy seem to force you to use their mail servers, which means that if I send a test email to Gmail and look at the original message, there are quite a few different IPs/Domains/servers listed, and I have no idea which I should be using in my SPF records. My domain is domain.co.uk.

Here is a pastbin of a test email I sent through to a Gmail account from my email address rob@domain.co.uk: /http://pastebin.com/FMXGEf1y

I can see that the email has come from a subdomain of secureserver.net, and from IP 64.202.xxx.xx. I've sent several test emails and they always seem to come from IP 64.202.xxx.XX (where the last two/three digits change). The main IP on my VPS and for this domain is 192-169-216-52, and I can see that floating around in there too along with some other secureserver.net subdomains.

So I don't really have much of a clue which of these addresses/domains/servers I should be paying attention to, and how to write a correct SPF field.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated - A big thanks in advance, starting to regret delving into all of this (I haven't even had the chance to look at other email/spam techniques like DKIM yet and make sure its properly set-up. Baby steps!)

#1 tribey2, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
  2. tribey2

tribey2 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks - I will have a read up and come back when I inevitably have more questions! I seem to have made progress with SPF, so that's a start!

Thanks Again!