The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPF vs Mail Forward (maybe a suggestion to cPanel/Exim?)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Arvy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Arvy

Arvy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

I'm having problems with users that forward emails to another domains/servers and the destination server refuses because my server send the email with the original "from" and the original "sender" have SPF records in the domain. I'm not sure if I'm clear...

Let me explain with a real example:

--------------

ISP SERVER: server.inweb.adm.br
    DOMAIN: personalsound.com.br
    EMAIL: contato@personalsound.com.br

* contato@personalsound.com.br is not a real mailbox, only a forward to clementao@terra.com.br

--------------

Incoming email: FROM panfleto_virtual@terra.com.br

"terra.com.br" has SPF records.

panfleto_virtual@terra.com.br receive an error (email message)...

Server log:

2008-12-17 12:38:43 1LCxXt-0008Ng-7S ** clementao@terra.com.br <contato@personalsound.com.br> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<clementao@terra.com.br>: host vip-us-br-mx.terra.com [208.84.244.133]: 550 5.5.2 <panfleto_virtual@terra.com.br>: Sender address rejected: SPF fail - server.inweb.adm.br[74.52.23.234] is not allowed to send mail with the domain terra.com.br

Because my server (server.inweb.adm.br) connects to terra.com.br and send "from: panfleto_virtual@terra.com.br"

In this example is "from terra.com.br" and "to terra.com.br" but the problem occurs with other domains too (different from's and to's).

GMail, for example, when forward a message, change the FROM (SMTP protocol) to something like this:

"FROM: panfleto_virtual-terra.com.br@personalsound.com.br"

but in the body of the message keeps "From: panfleto_virtual@terra.com.br"

Any ideias? Thank you.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What youa re looking for is SRS: http://wiki.exim.org/SRS

It will require manual configuration of Exim. We provide the necessary SRS plugin/patch for Exim but otherwise do not support SRS at this time.

3. Arvy

Arvy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Kenneth,

I understand, thanks. Please check the possibility to implement this in the future... I'm sure that lots of people are having the same problem than me.

thanks!

4. wemail

wemail Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Still waiting for SRS support in Exim

You are certainly not the only person still waiting for cPanel to implement SRS fully.

I forwarded details of a Brazilian implementation to cPanel months ago, and it looked as though there was some enthusiasm to support it at the time, but I have had no further update.

I have since started to use ASSP X and find it very good, and am about to recommend its adoption by two other cPanel systems I manage, but even they are still unable to progress SRS "because it is not yet supported in Exim"!

5. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

@cpanelkenneth Where can I find the patch for exim (or is it already included). I understand you don't support it yet, but you need to find a solution because mail are lost on forward. Maybe a script that received the email (via pipe) and change the headers?

6. fenixer

fenixer Well-Known Member

Cpanel should take care of giving SRS ACLs at configuration, as well as they do as Optional for many other features...

Any one could please tell how to interprete this (http://wiki.exim.org/SRS) to write at exim's ACLs????

Maybe few people (including me) should be happy if someone could just say something like:

"under <this> write <that> and over <that> write <this one>"..

;)

Thanks

#6 fenixer, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. wemail

wemail Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Glad there are still others needing a solution to this. I am concerned that the clients who lease the servers I am managing may opt to go to Windoze Server if this problem isn't resolved soon. That would be a PITA and sad.