The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split Domain Add Another Outgoing Mail Server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ridgedale, Feb 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ridgedale

ridgedale Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I need to edit the DNS records for an already split domain (website hosted separately from mail service) and want confirm how to correctly add the necessary records using the Advanced DNS Editor.

The current relevant records set are as follows:

Code:
    mydomain.com.                    14400        IN        A        <webhostip>
    <mailsubdomainname>         14400        IN        A        <mailserverip>
    mydomain.com.                    14400        IN        MX        0    <mailsubdomainname>.mydomain.com.
    www                                    14400        IN        CNAME    mydomain.com.
    ftp                                       14400        IN        A        <webhostip>
    mydomain.com.                    14400        IN        TXT        "v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:<mailserverip> ~all"

The information provided by the additional outgoing mail service provider has been provided in the following format:

Record Type: TXT
    Record Name: _<mailsubdomainname>.mydomain.com<http://<mailsubdomainname>.mydomain.com>
    Record Value: <string>+<string>/<string>/<string>+<string>=

From my research I believe I need to add the following records:

Code:
    mydomain.com.                    14400        IN        TXT        "v=spf1 +include:_2ndoutmailserver.com. ~all"
    _2ndoutmailserver.com.        14400        IN        TXT        "v=<string>+<string>/<string>/<string>+<string>="

Are the above proposed entries correct to achieve the required result? If not, what should the new entries be?

In addition, I also want to check whether or not DNS record entries should appear in a specific order (for optimisation purposes?). Should DNS entries appear in a specific order or can they just be added to bottom of the list without causing any issues?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Based on the information you provided, you'd want to add a new TXT record for:

Code:
    custom-subdomain.tld. 14400 IN TXT "v=<string>+<string>/<string>/<string>+<string>="
    You'd then edit the existing SPF record for "mydomain.com" to the one recommended by your provider.

You don't have to change the order of the DNS entries in the zone, and doing so should not make any performance differences.

Thank you.

ridgedale likes this.
  3. ridgedale

ridgedale Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi cPanelMichael,
    Thank you for the feedback and assitance. I've done that.
    Much appreciated. :)

cPanelMichael likes this.