The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

split domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by thheo, Aug 22, 2014.

1. thheo

thheo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am trying to setup a new domain in my cpanel that for e-mail would have some accounts locally and some accounts on a remote server. Unfortunately I don't have a list of e-mail addresses that need to be forwarded to the other server and I would like to to this "split domain" so that for any unknown local receipients it would forward the e-mail to the other server. I have to mention that the MX for the specific domain will be the cpanel server.
    I am using exim and I have used google to search for a solution, but couldn't find anything useful..

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There is no native support for hosting email service on multiple servers with preference over specific emails. The use of multiple mail servers with your MX records is typically done to account for times when the primary mail server is down. It might be possible through some customizations or with a third-party service, so I will leave this thread open for others to add their input.

Thank you.

3. thheo

thheo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have succeeded in the end by doing this:
    In exim advanced configuration editor in the editable box: PRENOALIASDISCARD
    I have added a router with these rules:
    ==
    whatever-name:
    driver = manualroute
    domains = "example.com"
    transport = remote_smtp
    route_list = example.com new.smtp.com
    no_verify
    ==
    At first it didn't work for me because I was putting this to ROUTEREND, however I searched the config until i found the virtual delivery router and I added this right after that one at the section mentioned above.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator