The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

split e-mails with diferent mx

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by droidman, Mar 7, 2011.

1. droidman

droidman Active Member

hi, i was trying to setup on the same server a diferent domain as a backup MX record with a diferent ip, so that when the first e-mail fails, it goes to secondarydomain.tld with a diferent ip and increase the possibility of delivery.
    My doubt is, when i setup a domain with a diferent ip, i also created the domain.tld mx records like with a 20 priority level, created SPF with that ip and mx records, also created the A record for the first domain and so on, it will not send the e-mails to the secondary mx as long as the first does not actually fail.

i'm sory if this is a bit confusing, so lets say i have 2 mx records domain1.com and domain2.com
    domain1.com priority 10
    domain2.com priority 20 as a backup

mails will only go out from domain2.com if they fail on domain1.com or everytime they bounce will they go to domain2.com ?

thanks in advance

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mail will only go to domain2.com (the secondary MX) if they fail to deliver to domain1.com (the primary MX). They won't deliver to the secondary MX either, they will simply be held in the queue until domain1.com is available again, then deliver to the primary MX at that point. That's the point of redundancy for MX records, the secondary MX holds mails to queue to the primary. If you didn't have it work this way, email wouldn't even be synced up.

3. droidman

droidman Active Member

hi, thank you for your reply, that was what i was thinking that happend, so, is there a way or plugin etc, to make some of them go to the second mail delivery system?

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is it that you are really wanting to do precisely? You don't want bounced messages to go to the primary MX? The primary MX will always have to handle the emails regardless, so all that happens if you re-route those bounces is extra processing for the primary MX.

It would be better to create a filter that filters any emails with some bounce indicator in the header to go to another email address. You wouldn't even have to change the MX entries that way.

5. droidman

droidman Active Member

hi mate sory for the delay i was out of town for a few days
    what i want to do is, like the big companies that send e-mail, they have multiple sending servers with methods that i dont know or cant find how to implement.
    for example, to improve delivery, they send from diferent domains or subdomains with diferent ip's and the e-mail is re-written with a spf like record, something like mail@domain.com becomes spf_something_mail@domain.com.
    so what i belive that what they do is divide the mails per diferent smtp services that deliver and report to a main server.
    to try to mount that kind of service i'm trying to find out how it is done and using vps to test since they are cheaper.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are now talking about sending emails rather than receiving emails. So instead of the server receiving certain types of emails to set locations, you instead want to send out emails based on some criteria. The MX records would have no bearing on doing this. MX records determine delivery locations. You'll have to setup routers or transports to perform this task. I don't even understand the purpose to add this complexity when subdomains could achieve the same result. Simply split the domain into assorted subdomains and have the subdomains on the server or servers that you want to have deliver the emails. You can move individual subdomains to different machines.

If you want to route emails to a set server to undergo some change prior to final sending, that would be a smart host. If you run a search for smart host on this forum, you can find discussions recently on this topic.