The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spoofed Email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by NT, Dec 20, 2005.

1. NT

NT Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've had a search of these forums, but maybe I was using the wrong words.

I've been getting a lot of bounce-backs from other hosts for the last few weeks, and I've discovered that spammers are spoofing my domain (i.e. sending from blah@mydomain.com).

They aren't sending through my server itself, rather they are just spoofing the sending address.

Is there any way I can stop or limit this? I have heard about SPF, but I wasn't sure if that was suited to this particular problem.

If it's of any extra help, I'm using Chirpy's excellent MailScanner package.

Thanks in advance,
    Nick.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's not a great deal you can do except setup some exim filters through cPanel to try and weed out the bounces. One thing you can certainly do is ensure you're not using a catchall default address other than :fail: for the affected domain(s).

3. NT

NT Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thanks - that's not an issue, I'm just seeing the bounces in the mail queue.

It's a shame there's no (effective) way of stopping this kind of thing from happening :(