Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

spooling maiil on cpanel

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by ourweb, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ourweb

ourweb Well-Known Member

Let's say we have a mailserver called mailserver.ourweb.net and a Cpanel server called cpanel.ourweb.net. On the Cpanel server I have a domain called mydomain.com and I put the MX record to mailserver.ourweb.net but I want the mail to spool on Cpanel in case the mailserver goes down for some reason. How do I do this?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You'd set it up as "Backup Mail Exchanger" in WHM > DNS Functions > Edit DNS Zone for the domain's DNS entry, then add a second MX record with a higher priority to point to the cPanel server in that zone file.

This will create the /etc/secondarymx file where the domain will be listed, which means cPanel will hold the emails in queue when the other machine isn't available.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...