The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SQL backups - can't automate anymore

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by trevHCS, Apr 18, 2008.

1. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

We've got about 200 sites using databases and normally we use Getright to download the file and SQL backups automatically via the CPanel backup URL which has worked fine for a number of years without a hitch. Getright knows the login details and automates he backup usually once a day (or Fridays for the files).

However since around the 26th March this has been failing for a number of accounts and just downloads a 1K file, but only for the SQL backups. The file backups work fine. It doesn't affect every account, but it seems to be affecting accounts across all 3 servers so it's not just a single server issue.

I also discovered that if I enter the backup URL into firefox like the one below the same thing happens (1K file) and if I do this with IE it says it can't download the file. But if I go into Cpanel and click the link everything works fine. Just with 200 sites I can't do that every day. :)

Edit: Also just discovered, if I log in via Firefox to Cpanel backup -> click the SQL link -> open the file -> then run Getright or download via the link (even after closing FF) then it works perfectly well. Almost makes me think Cpanel is logging IP addresses that have actually fully logged into the Cpanel interface and allows those access to the backup files? Just a guess so far as our IP changes each time we switch on the ADSL router.

Example URL:
    http://www.example.com:2082/getsqlbackup/dbase_name_here.sql.gz

All servers are running: WHM 11.15.0, cPanel 11.18.3-R21703

Anyone else experienced this and worked out what's going wrong...? Or even why some accounts aren't affected. Asked the support people at the host and they were just as baffled.

Cheers
    Trev

#1 trevHCS, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. adamneal

adamneal Member

I'm experiencing the same problem, it's been fine for a long time and suddenly stopped working. No idea how to fix it though but would love to know if anyone has it working.

One thing I have noticed is that it works fine with my reseller account but fails for all the accounts under the reseller.

#2 adamneal, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

In the end I logged into every Cpanel account and went to the backup page in Firefox and that seems to have cured it. At least all the ones recently have downloaded properly again. Not totally sure, but I think we're now on a fixed IP so wondering if once the IP is logged it'll let it run? Real pain if you're on a non fixed IP.

Using something like Getright, only other option might be to call up that page in the auto downloads before calling the backup. OK, if you've got a few, but a right pain to setup if you've got 200 of them.

Trev

4. adamneal

adamneal Member

It doesn't work for me from a browser if I'm logged in with the reseller username and password and I don't know all my clients login details so I'm a bit stuck really.

I'm sure this must be affecting a lot of people, maybe they haven't realised yet.....