The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SQL Performance slow

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by dwykofka, Dec 4, 2009.

1. dwykofka

dwykofka Well-Known Member

2 days ago one of my vps's suddenly started writing data to SQL very very slowly.

I thought at first the server was getting hit hard, ruled that out by dropping all traffic but my own.

Then I though that maybe there was a code issue, ruled that out by testing several other vanilla php/sql packages with the same results.

Then I figure there must be something wrong with the hardware performance, ruled that out as follows:

I installed cpanel on a fresh vps in the lab and restored a backup of one of the affected sites to it and it runs perfectly. I then ran nbench on each VPS to look for a performance disparity.

Live VPS (where it runs slow)
    MEMORY INDEX : 20.016
    INTEGER INDEX : 19.622
    FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 34.710

Test VPS (where is runs fast)
    MEMORY INDEX : 20.667
    INTEGER INDEX : 19.885
    FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 35.734

I can not find anything causing this problem, it's important to note that this VPS is way overpowered at 2GB ram / access to 4 cpu cores and completely underloaded nodes. The VPS only hosts 4 websites that dont generate much traffic, however the traffic that is generated is generally financial transactions and this is causing some heartburn.

I am just looking for ideas here.

#1 dwykofka, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009