Squirrel Mail config Overwritten

l00ph0le

Aug 16, 2007
Good evening,

I have been trying to solve this question for the last several days and am looking for some assistance.

Basically, CPanel is overwriting my squirrelmail config files. Now i have looked through the forums and tried the one most commonly referred to fix..

That fix is to chattr +i the config.php file, which I have done, however, if I do that and the update runs at night i end of with internal server errors.

Now I also read a README file that said about tarring files adn leaving them at different places and that the update-squirrelmail script will skip the update if it finds them, However I have no idea how to even start that fix.. some dumbed down instructions would be great.

The only other thing I have read is to have another installation of squirrelmail on the server, However, I am not to keen on doing that.

Can anyone give me some good detailed help on this?

It would be apprecitated.

Respectfully

L00ph0le

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If it is a single file (e.g. config.php), the following is a base to start from:

Code:
cp /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/config/config.php ~/squirrelmail_config.php
touch /var/cpanel/squirrelmail/install
chmod +x /var/cpanel/squirrelmail/install
vim /var/cpanel/squirrelmail/install
Contents of /var/cpanel/squirrelmail/install
Code:
#!/bin/sh

cp /root/squirrelmail_config.php /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/config/config.php
chown cpanel:cpanel /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/config/config.php
Customize the above to your particular needs.

Oct 8, 2007
Applying attributes is not a very practical solution . Attributes can completely corrupt some configuration files during updates when applied . Trying to find out the reason behind automatic changes is the best thing to do .