The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

squirrelmail folders disappear with mbox & cpanel 11

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sfhappy, May 3, 2007.

1. sfhappy

sfhappy Registered

I just got off the phone with The Planet and it appears that after the update to cpanel 11.x the email system and other functionalities of 1000s of servers are down and cpanel does not have a fix.
    I also just spoke with a journalist I know and he told me they had already heard of it and are researching to bring out a story.
    If all of this is really true, I have a feeling cpanel might get some bad press coverage.

Any input of feedback from the cpanel team?

2. vertex

vertex Registered

i updated to cpanel 11 ... with no problems to my email or websites or anything

3. sfhappy

sfhappy Registered

Vertex, that is great for you. But apparently cpanel also released during the day a new current version, C11519, which is not mentioned yet in the change log.

Let's see what the cpanel staff has to say. The Planet/EV1servers is the largest hosting provider so if they have thousands of machines having issues, something is going on.

4. faze

faze Registered

There are tons of servers experiencing this issue... believe me sfhappy you are not alone.

5. jmoe2008

jmoe2008 Member

You run the Current tree you take your chances.

6. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How about getting some specific logs and posting them here so people can help versus complaining. I have upgraded a few TP/ev1 systems and not run into any problems so it is not 100% of the servers.

For starters try sending (or recieving) an email and tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog and exim_paniclog to see if anything shows up. It may be something simple, just because TP does not have a solution does not mean it is not an easy fix.

*edit* just saw faze posted he saw some issues. Regardless posting some logs or errors would let the troubleshooting process start.

As a quick fix try renaming exim.pl and exim.conf and reinstalling exim.

#6 eth00, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  7. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's related ..but EV1/TP just had almost ALL of their IP address space blocked on almost ALL the major email RBLs. something about abuse problems at ev1/tp and trend micro called them on it. trend micro got sick of never hearing back from TP so they black listed a hand full of class B's or something. TP has been blaming it on everyone. No answer from their abuse department at TP because they were both not there.

This is what I have heard from a couple insiders at TP.

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The only tickets we have in about email (less then 10 total so far) are related to people using bluelagoon or some other old theme which were easily resolved by switching to x3. You could also upcp as well as later current builds detect the missing webmail theme and auto switch the webmail theme to x3.

9. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

John ..you manage a few thousand servers all over the place. have you seen any huge widespread issues like this?

I would say that if you are at TP your days of service are numbered anyway. That place I was at for 5 years. It's gone to hell in a hand basket and in my opinion wrong to NOT warn people of the direction they are taken lately. And I am saying that to anyone who is there right now ..regardless of who's at fault with the issues you describe.

10. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Its been a brisk day but looking back we were having some RBL issues, I didn't know why but that trendmicro thing makes sense. I also talked with a few of my co-workers and found that exim.pl and exim.conf renaming issue. It may be related to some of the custom ACLs and rules people had but have not had time to go back and check it all out yet.

All I know right now is I don't have any tickets open for exim email issues out of the couple hundred cpanel boxes we have, maybe some other people can reply to help increase the sample size.

11. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

and Nick correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand ..the exim changes that have taken place recently and included in these updates, if there were any problems it would certainly NOT be limited to just one datacenter correct?

12. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    For sure, unless that datacenter did their own custom config for all their servers.

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Who did you talk to @ the Planet ?

14. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Not saying you are not telling the truth here ..but a couple things bother me.
    1. are you sure you had the right number? last time I tried calling them it took 7 hours to get a human who didn't even know what department to send me to.
    2. this is 100% bs. cpanel has a fix for nearly everything and normally within hours if not minutes. They would never tell TP that there was no fix for anything broken..period.

The only story that will be out is the one about their entire network being a breeding ground for cyber terrorists and their abuse department (both of them) were either fired or quit.

If you have a problem with your server(s) cPanelNick is right in this thread ..I can guareentee he would love to look at it personally and fix it to clear this matter up. And if it does turn out to be a widespread issue he needs to know WITH DETAILS ..cause from my ears ..there are no widespread issues.

#14 rpmws, May 3, 2007
  15. root1

root1 Registered

I would like to add that I have had several resellers who's folders (and thus messages) have disappeared while using IMAP & squirrel mail (Horde so far seems unaffected but I am still sorting through the complaints). It seems hard to believe this is a coincidence with last nights Cpanel 11 push :) Anyone else seen this?

Centos 4.4 w/ WHM 11.1.0 cPanel 11.2-C11519

EDIT:
    (oh and absolutely no relation with ThePlanet oversold kiddie crap hosting :P)

#15 root1, May 3, 2007
  16. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You aren't by chance still using mbox ?

17. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

can you resubscribe those folders in sq mail? I seem to remember something like this in 2004. How old was the cpanel builds that were upgraded?

18. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

OMG !! man I sure hope not!!! :eek: I am wondering if a bunch of TP boxes got the maildir upgrade and now lost Neomail (remember Neomail ..back years ago?) Now there would basically be no fix for that one.

#18 rpmws, May 3, 2007
  19. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    is mdir now required for cPanel 11?

20. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I may be wrong here but I **think** maildir has been the standard with cpanel for 2-3 years now. At least I know that maildir was used with fresh cpanel installs for several years now as the default. The old system used cppop ..remeber that old thing? man that was a while ago.