The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squirrelmail uses 100% on some accounts

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by anton_latvia, Jul 5, 2010.

1. anton_latvia

anton_latvia Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    Some clients, not all, reports this bug - sometimes when working with Squirrelmail it becomes slow. on the server I can see that PHP which is serving webmail uses 100%. If I kill it, browser outputs part of the requested page. I have tried rebuilding cpanel's PHP, removing dovecot's cache files, increasing memory limit for dovecot and number of authentication daemons, but nothing helped. Client is not running over quota and his mailbox contains about 250 emails.

What could be the problem?

Regards,
    Anton.

2. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

I would highly suggest opening a technical support ticket with cPanel on this matter using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel area. At this point, it's difficult to know without server access what could be causing it and that's why a ticket is the best route.

In the ticket, please ensure to provide the email address login details as well, so that the issue with high load upon logging into that email account in Squirrelmail can be reproduced by them.

3. anton_latvia

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For reference to other users.

This problem occurs when there is some weird spam emails in the inbox. Usually such emails contain bad characters and IMAP server has problem processing it for Squirrelmail. Once you delete that "problematic" email - squirrelmail starts working again. Easiest way to find these bad emails is to use other webmail client, for example Horde, which does not hang on such emails.

Anton.

4. Miraenda

Is your mailserver also using Dovecot? I just wondered, because it sounds like it's Squirrelmail in conjunction with Dovecot. I've heard of Dovecot hanging up on emails with bad characters in them before (but not Courier), so I was just curious here. You can tell which mailserver you are using in WHM > Mailserver Selection area, which you likely know but some others reading this thread might not know.

#4 Miraenda, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. anton_latvia

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, we use dovecot on that particular server.

6. Miraenda

Thanks for the confirmation. :)