The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SquirrelMail without Login Popup

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tsg247, Mar 23, 2004.

1. tsg247

tsg247 Active Member

Ok, so I'm tired of supporting three different webmail programs for my customers, so I've decided to go with a single webmail program for their use. I've chosen SquirrelMail because it seems pretty stable and it's fairly easy to customize.

Now, for the fun part... I'm wanting to bypass the whole .htaccess popup box that you get when you go to http://domain.com/webmail/

I've figured out how to do it and point directly to the SquirrelMail login screen, but has anyone else ever done this? If you have, is this method at least as secure as the .htaccess popup window method (or maybe even MORE secure from a public computer since you HAVE to log back in once you log out?)

Any suggestions would be great! As soon as I work out all the bugs, I'll post how a how-to for those of you who want to do this but don't know how.

Chris

2. BenO

BenO Registered

so what ? :p

am interested :

3. tsg247

tsg247 Active Member

Ok, so all seems to be working well... here's how to do this:

Locate your httpd.conf file located in /usr/local/apache/conf/

BACK THIS FILE UP!!!
    I won't be held responsible or provide support if you mess something up and end up causing apache to fail! If you do screw something up and you backed this file up, you should be able to restore the backup and everything should work fine.

Once you've got it backed up, open it up and find these lines:

ScriptAlias /webmail /usr/local/cpanel/base/wredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/webmail/(.*) /usr/local/cpanel/base/wredirect.cgi

Delete these lines and replace them with this line:

Alias /webmail /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/

Save the edited file in /usr/local/apache/conf/

Restart Apache in WHM.

Now, when you type in http://www.yourdomain.com/webmail, you will see the squirrelmail login screen. Type your user / email address and password and you're logged into squirrelmail. When you log out, the cookies are cleared and you cannot navigate back to previous screens without seeing a "You must be logged in to access this page." error.

Just so you know though, if you type in http://www.yourdomain.com:2095/, you'll still have the popup screen and still be able to login to the old webmail. My suggestion here is to disable all the email programs through the tweak settings option in WHM so none of the email programs are displayed. Then, place a custom skin that highlights the features you lost in making the change... i.e. password change, autoresponders, & forwarders, then make an entry in httpd.conf to point back to the site, called something like "epanel" (that's what I call mine). It's still not secure, but unless it's someone who knows a LOT about cpanel, they won't be able to access webmail through that port.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Chris

4. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT tutorial -- thanks!

I have tried to apply this to horde, and get a page of errors no matter how I try. Can you help there?

Bill

5. tsg247

tsg247 Active Member

I tried this myself a while back and got the same results that you're getting. It has something to do with the initial file settings in horde... unfortunately, since I don't know enough about it as of yet, I can't be of much assistance.

6. trumpetx

trumpetx Member

I did this and got this error, any ideas?
    ------

ERROR
    Error opening ../data/default_pref
    Could not create initial preference file!
    //.sqmaildata should be writable by user nobody
    Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

Go to the login page

7. tsg247

tsg247 Active Member

I have not experienced it, but another person who did told me they fixed it by simply upgrading to the newest version of squirrelmail... but I don't know what causes it.

8. trumpetx

trumpetx Member

exellent, thank you - i'll look into it.