The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SquirrelMail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by IslandMentality, Oct 1, 2002.

1. IslandMentality

IslandMentality Registered

I am trying to use the webmail program, Squirrelmail on my cpanel account with no luck. I was previously utilizing squirrelmail on a plesk account with no problems but recently switched over to a cpanel account due to the increased number of options. I originally had to switch from a plesk to a cpanel because at the time cpanel did not have the IMAP required by squirrel mail but supposedly does now.
    I have created mail accounts through the cpanel similarly as I did previously with the plesk accout accept now when I try to access these mail accounts through my squirrelmail login page they are not recognized as existing mail accounts or the passwords are not recognized.
    I was wondering if anyone new a solution to resolve this as to why it the program worked fine on my plesk account but now is seemingly worthless on the cpanel account.
    I ask because I have been told that some people have been able to successfully make the squirrelmail program work on their cpanel accounts. I just don't know who or how.

Thanks in advance
    Island Mentality

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:71bd12ebb8][i:71bd12ebb8]Originally posted by IslandMentality[/i:71bd12ebb8]

I am trying to use the webmail program, Squirrelmail on my cpanel account with no luck. I was previously utilizing squirrelmail on a plesk account with no problems but recently switched over to a cpanel account due to the increased number of options. I originally had to switch from a plesk to a cpanel because at the time cpanel did not have the IMAP required by squirrel mail but supposedly does now.
    I have created mail accounts through the cpanel similarly as I did previously with the plesk accout accept now when I try to access these mail accounts through my squirrelmail login page they are not recognized as existing mail accounts or the passwords are not recognized.
    I was wondering if anyone new a solution to resolve this as to why it the program worked fine on my plesk account but now is seemingly worthless on the cpanel account.
    I ask because I have been told that some people have been able to successfully make the squirrelmail program work on their cpanel accounts. I just don't know who or how.

Thanks in advance
    Island Mentality[/quote:71bd12ebb8]
    SquirrelMail requires manual modifications and programming to be useful in cpanel for virtual hosting, We have made an especial release which supports virtual hosting and also does not cause your users to abuse other emails or servers or bandwidth, if you have a dedicated server you can install it.

3. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

[quote:87aabb2b3c][i:87aabb2b3c]Originally posted by IslandMentality[/i:87aabb2b3c]

Thanks in advance
    Island Mentality[/quote:87aabb2b3c]

Why would you want squirrelmail? Its really a piece of crap. We have it on 22 of our servers, not because we want it but because our CP installs it by default. We are pretty much stuck with it and its not upgradable until Ensim decides to upgrade it. Neromail is a welcome relief.

4. CaspianHost

CaspianHost Member

i use it and it works fine...
    did you run the configure script? it will ask for your imap server version and other information, after that it will work

5. abmad

abmad Member

[quote:dc00d40d02][i:dc00d40d02]Originally posted by itf[/i:dc00d40d02]
    SquirrelMail requires manual modifications and programming to be useful in cpanel for virtual hosting, We have made an especial release which supports virtual hosting and also does not cause your users to abuse other emails or servers or bandwidth, if you have a dedicated server you can install it.[/quote:dc00d40d02]

Itf, Which release are you referring to here?

6. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:b419392cf0][i:b419392cf0]Originally posted by abmad[/i:b419392cf0]

[quote:b419392cf0][i:b419392cf0]Originally posted by itf[/i:b419392cf0]
    SquirrelMail requires manual modifications and programming to be useful in cpanel for virtual hosting, We have made an especial release which supports virtual hosting and also does not cause your users to abuse other emails or servers or bandwidth, if you have a dedicated server you can install it.[/quote:b419392cf0]

Itf, Which release are you referring to here?[/quote:b419392cf0]
    Our Contributed package (at the time of this post) SquirrelMail 1.2.8-4.x

7. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

And How do I install it? I have tried but it won't work

8. cikul

cikul Well-Known Member

I have installed Squirrel Mail in our server, and i don't have any problem with that.
    After extract the Squirrelmail source, have you run the configure file? if not, you must configure first.
    I extract my Squirrelmail at /usr/local/apache/htdocs/squirrelmail-1.3.2 and i create alias at httpd.conf :

Alias /squirrel /usr/local/apache/htdocs/squirrelmail-1.3.2/

don't forget to change the permission of directory attachment and data to write and read by nobody
    and all of my client can access Squirrelmail with
    http://clientdomain.com/squirrel/
    without my client installed each :)

9. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

How did you extract it?? I have tried but i get an error message: squirrelmail-1.2.10.tar.gz: not in gzip format

10. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

Could you write a step by step :)

11. cikul

cikul Well-Known Member

[quote:31629ee669]Could you write a step by step[/quote:31629ee669]

in that case we use development version of squirrelmail-1.3.2

a. Extract the squirrelmail, for example we install at from /usr/local/apache/htdocs :

[quote:31629ee669]tar xvzf squirrelmail-1.3.2.tar.gz[/quote:31629ee669]

b. go to squirrelmail-1.3.2 directory

c. Run ./configure and configure with your setting and your server setting
    This is setting in our server :

[quote:31629ee669]Server Settings
    1. Domain : xxxxxx
    2. IMAP Server : localhost
    3. IMAP Port : 143
    4. Use Sendmail/SMTP : SMTP
    6. SMTP Server : localhost
    7. SMTP Port : 25
    8. Authenticated SMTP : true
    9. POP Before SMTP : true
    10. Server : cyrus
    11. Invert Time : false
    12. Delimiter : detect
    [/quote:31629ee669]

you can configure with your own setting from ./configure file

and don't forget checking your folder permission, just directory upload and data which need full access.

d. Edit your httpd.conf at /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf and add this line

[quote:31629ee669]Alias /squirrel /usr/local/apache/htdocs/squirrelmail-1.3.2/
    [/quote:31629ee669]
    or whatever you want ;)

e. Restart your apache

f. Test your Squirrelmail accessed from your site or your client site
    If work, it's done.

[quote:31629ee669]http://yourdomain.com/squirrel/ or http://yourclientdomain.com/squirrel/[/quote:31629ee669]

for login you must fill user@yourdomain.com completely.

Hope this help :)

12. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

I can't extract the file

13. cikul

cikul Well-Known Member

[quote:f41a4cce71]I can't extract the file[/quote:f41a4cce71]

Really?? we have no problem?? what errors??

14. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I have tried everything

15. cikul

cikul Well-Known Member

download again??

16. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

I have tried but he same error message. I have restarted server too. Reinstalled tar and gzip but with no effect

17. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

Solved it I downloaded it from sourceforge. And that file was ok

18. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

On what line should i write the alias

19. cikul

cikul Well-Known Member

[quote:9e50b20a5d]On what line should i write the alias [/quote:9e50b20a5d]
    any line at httpd.conf. After that restart your Apache.

20. Skm74

Skm74 Well-Known Member

One more thing. Where is the mailboxex located