Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SRS or not?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by dzamanakos, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dzamanakos

dzamanakos Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, i have a question about Enable Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS) Support.

Many customers forward their emails from our servers to other external (like yahoo, google, other etc)

Sometimes these emails are delivered to spam folders as they fail spf check.

In order to improve deliverability i've changed SRS to on, on tweak settings.

Now all emails a local user receives (along with spam emails) and then forwarded to gmail for example, have headers that seems that are originated from my ips.

This is a risk as gmail or any other server may think my server send spam.

Does the headers that my local spamassassin add and flag the email as spam helps gmail to not add me as a spammer? Or does a changed subject that contains the word SPAM helps?

I'm also planning to deploy mailscanner. Does it's headers/subject will help that too?
    i've noticed that mailscanner's headers are different than spamassassin.

Reading about, i didnt find any standard rules (headers/subject) that a remote mailserver will not add me as spammer, by telling: server A (my server) send a spam email to me but it has a header Spam:True so it's not a spammer, it's a forwarded email.

Is it better with SRS and this risk, or with SPF and fail check?

What's your expirience on that?

Thank you in advance,

2. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

This really depends on Google's mail practices when receiving mail, which they don't make all that clear. Really, your users shouldn't be using forwards in this manner. The best method to pass mail along to another provider is to allow it to fetch over POP. This will ensure 100% delivery and prevent any reputation issues with your server. Gmail has the following documentation on this:
    Check emails from other accounts - Computer - Gmail Help

Otherwise, you may consider using the 'Scan outgoing messages for spam...' features at WHM > Service Configuration > Exim Configuration Manager.
    Exim Configuration Manager - Basic Editor - Version 66 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thanks,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dzamanakos

dzamanakos Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I may consider disabling SRS, as scanning outgoing for spam may not change anything because before forward a message, spamassassin already checked it when received and flagged them (or am i wrong?)

4. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The flag is likely added on inbound checks, then kept when forwarded. The outgoing spam scan will prevent it from being forwarded altogether, should it exceed the specified spam score.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...