The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH access not working for root

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by connop, Jan 25, 2007.

1. connop

connop Registered

I have a Virtual Dedicated Server through Godaddy.com with WHM and Cpanel, and Im having a few issues with it, since the problems are software, I was told to look at the logs, but when I tried to access the server using puTTy, for the hostname I put in the IP address, and tried to login as the root user, but i got a permission denied error. I know that the password I used works when login in to WHM, so im not sure whats wrong. I've only had this server for about a month, and Im not to familer with WHM yet, I dont know what ever thing does on the panel. So any help would be great. I hope that i posted this in the right spot.

Thanks.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SSH Root logins might be disabled. You'll need to talk to GoDaddy about enabling it if so.

3. connop

connop Registered

it is enabled, i was able to logon to an account on it using SSH.

4. TSJasonH

TSJasonH Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,

Kenneth was saying that the SSH option for direct root login is not enabled. The option is in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and is called "PermitRootLogin". Likely it's set to "no". This won't prevent normal users from logging into ssh.

To get in as root you'll need to login to your WHM, and
    1) "Manage Shell Access" for your account. Set it to full bash shell (not jailshell).
    2) "Manage Wheel Group Users " and add this same user to the Wheel group.

Now you will be able to open up a new shell with that user and issue the command:

su -

Then you can put in your root password to gain access.

5. connop

connop Registered

ok, i checked, and the user i wanted to use has normal shell access, i tried using the su command, but i got
    does anyone know if this is normal for godaddy accounts? If its not could this be one of the reasons im have problems with WHM?

6. Kelmas

Kelmas Well-Known Member

As for GoDaddy's VPS you should SSH into your server using username shown in server's control panel (GoDaddy's) and then use su - root.