The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH Connection Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nilwon, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Nilwon

Nilwon Registered

I'm not certain if this is an issue related to WHM or not... but I believe it is.

I'm running a dedicated server. Centos 5.5 with the latest WHM/Cpanel distro.

I log on using putty from several different connections. The main is from my office. Until yesterday, I had no issues.

However, as of today I cannot connect through comcast to my server using Putty! I have verified it isn't a network configuration issue by disabling Comcast; at that point, my watchguard device fails over to an alternate connection, and I CAN connect using the alternate connection.

I'm on a dedicated IP here at the office. Does WHM have any type of security feature which might be blocking connections from my IP? What might I be doing wrong?

I have even tried using zaTelnet on my iPhone. When my iPhone is on 3g, I can connect. When I use WiFi, I cannot.

Your help is appreciated!

2. Nilwon

Nilwon Registered

I just verified that I can access a friend's server through my primary connection.

Does WHM have any type of system to lock out IP's?

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, cPHulk Brute Force Protection can lock out a select user from accessing a machine. Additionally, if you are using CSF (WHM > Manage Plugins > ConfigServer Security & Firewall), it could lock out your IP or connection, although we do not provide CSF ourselves.

Depending on which handled the block, you can whitelist your IP so it doesn't get blocked again in both of them.

4. crazyaboutlinux

crazyaboutlinux Well-Known Member

also you would need to add in csf.ignore

csf.ignore - a list of IP's and CIDR addresses that lfd should ignore and not block if detected

5. AunRaza

AunRaza Member

to better clarify the issue, try running a tracert to the server, apparently seems to be IP blockage..

6. Nilwon

Nilwon Registered

cPanelTristan, I was unaware of cPHulk Brute Force Protection. I enabled it and whitelisted my IP but I still can't get in (just so I don't look too dumb, I wasn't expecting that enabling it would let me in) through my main connection. I am currently not using CSF. Any other ideas?
    Thanks for the reply. I wish CSF was the problem. :(

AunRaza, I am able to log into the WHM manager and view all websites at the IP. Is it possible to run a tracert to a specific port? The tracert terminated to the domain successfully.

edit - I also tried using IP addresses, not just domains.

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only other area I can think of would be Host Access Control if you don't have a firewall mechanism to automatically block your SSH connections. WHM > Host Access Control can allow and deny set IP addresses, but that's a long shot since it wouldn't have allowed your other IP unless it had been previously whitelisted.

I believe the best bet now is to contact your hosting provider to have them check into it to see if they can determine why you cannot connect to SSH.

Another idea just in case somehow it is the firewall, you can try to SSH in on the other system you have that does work, then try to check for your IP to see if it is listed in iptables:

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -n -L | grep IP#
    Please replace IP# with the IP number that isn't working to SSH to the machine.

If you have a provider that allows changing your main IP on your local system, you could simply try to get a new IP on that system if that might be faster than trying to troubleshoot what's going on. Oftentimes, you can force a new IP via your network settings. If you aren't certain how to get a new IP that way, your ISP should be able to help you in getting a new IP. I'm simply mentioning this as another viable possibility to get things going again for you.