The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH, Frontpage Extensions, And Account Function

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nitind, Sep 4, 2003.

1. nitind

nitind Member

Hello,

I was wondering, is it wise to allow my clients (on a ded server) access to SSH? If so, what should be the settings?

How about Frontpage Extensions - I saw that once you enable frontpage as part of the package, you cant change it after - and you also cannot remove it from an account once created. I believe there is also a conflict between hta password protection feature in cpanel and frontpage.

What do you guys usually do for your clients? Enable front page extensions automatically -- or do you ask the client if they need it prior to account creation? Or how do you handle this issue if the client doesnt want FP afterwards and wants to use hta password protection?

Thanks!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 nitind, Sep 4, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

SSH access should only be given out if you've done your homework on security. Patched your kernel, changed permissions on partitions, change execute perms on /tmp, etc.

A false sense of security would be to enable jailed shell for your users. Most functions these days can be done through FTP and thus SSH/shell access is not required.

FrontPage is a piece of junk but clients like it because they like to use FrontPage to create "web sites". I use that term lightly because anyone that uses FrontPage in a professional environment should be shot. Anyway, you will most likely have to enable this.

Clients can also enable/disable FrontPage extensions within their control panel....so there is no need to enable them by default.

3. nitind

nitind Member

thanks for the info - much appreciated :D