The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH hangs and everything's SLOW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bmcclure, Apr 29, 2003.

1. bmcclure

bmcclure Well-Known Member

OK, I reinstalled Everything like I planned at the new location running on a T1. The system worked really fast and good at my house, but I had the IPs set wrong, so I ened up reisntalling everything with the correct external IPs instead of internal ones.

First, it takes FOREVER to load a page, and many times pages just time out and bring up errors. We opened all needed ports for all service,s including WHM and CPanel, on the firewall.

I'm gettign 3 KB/s downloading from FTP. I've got a DSL on this end and a T1 where the server is.

The domain name works for FTP but for HTTP it just brings up an error saying it can't find the server.

SSH logs in fine but randomly after 5 - 20 seconds it just completely freezes and then brings up a connection error a minute or so later.

This server is supposed to be taking on about 100-200 new clients starting in an hour or so today, I'd like this fixed ASAP!

The only thign I changed was it todl me that the hostname wasn't in the hosts file so I had it add the record using the external IP like it brought up by default.

Any help? Please! Thank you.

2. bmcclure

The server's a little faster now, for no reason at all it started goinga bit faster.

SSH still doesn't work though. How do I enable telnet through WHM? If I can't SSH I at least need Telnet until I can get SSH working.

I tried reisntalling OpenSSH, restarting SSH, restarting the entire server, etc. but nothing worked.

Please, time is of the essence here as we could start getting accounts any minute. Thank you.

3. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will help. But the "default' cpanel theme used to have a telnet link into your account. I have never used it nor am I sure it's still there..... but it may be worth a shot.

4. bmcclure

Got SSH working again, aparently it was our connection at my other job that was the flaky one. Works fine at home.

However, every account I make goes to the default server htdocs directory ...

Any ideas on that?

Thanks silverado!

5. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

I have had similar problems. Also caused by a slow connection.

The symptoms were typically slow SSH and very slow access to WHM and CPanel. Retieving e-mail often timed out as well. At the same time normal http access, including webs with MySQL databasis, were nice and fast.

I get the impression the services provided by CPanel itself, i.e. everything through ports 2086, 2082 etc, slows down first. Perhaps there is some two-way communication going on. And when you have a slow connetion, you are punished severely. :confused: