rolinger

Feb 13, 2017
Tampa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Not certain whats happened here, but any SSH connection to my server is failing. Yesterday it working, today it is not.

I am on a Windows machine using Putty. I can connect to the IP on port 22. If I type the wrong password, it gives me the password prompt again. If I provide the correct password it either just closes the session window or gives me an error "Server unexpectedly closed network connection". On my local FW the logs are showing the session ended due to a tcp-fin packet - meaning the remote server closed the session.

From within cPanel I use the Terminal app to emulate a console session and I am able to get root command line: [[email protected] ~]#. From there I then ssh to itself: ssh [email protected] - and I get this error: dup() in/out/err failed

I restarted the sshd and the problem persists. What can I do or look at to get this resolved?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

You wouldn't be able to SSH to the server from WHM's terminal which already puts you in the command line as the root user. The error you get there is expected. As far as why you're unable to access SSH via the PuTTY what is noted on those sessions when you access through terminal in /var/log/messages?