The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gilligan, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Gilligan

Gilligan Registered

This is driving me nuts.

I am trying to put a fresh load on my server.
    I am installing the DVD version centos 5.3.
    Install goes fine.
    After install of centos I install cpanel.
    if I pull up a website address in internet explorer that is hosted on this server I get this.
    Great Success !
    Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server
    I can come to my computer that is on the same subnet/gateway as the server and ssh into the server, but if I remote into another server across town and try to ssh into my server I get this.
    "Network error: Connection timed out"
    It is not a issue with cpanel because it does it weather cpanel is on the server or not.
    I have disabled iptable thru the ntsysv and Selinux in the config file.
    I have tried Centos versions 4.7... version 5.0 that cpanel lets you download and version 5.3... all get same response.
    The router my server hooks to cant be the issue, My back up server is letting me ssh into it from across town.
    I am just swapping the same Ethernet cable from the server to the other server

if someone from cpanel sees this I would be glad to let you remote into my computer with showmypc and you can ssh into the server and let you tell me what you think. .. Crazy huh?

Oh and to beat all... I got a thorn in my foot i can not dig out.
    Any ideas???

#1 Gilligan, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

My first thought is perhaps because your IP address (as seen by the remote) is now seeing a different key, because it's a different host. ??

When you mention moving the cable... what's your setup? Are you using NAT? Two different public IP addresses for each box? Can you setup your network so that both machines are connected at the same time?

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

It sounds to me you may have any or both of two separate issues to deal with ...

The first sounds like you may be using NAT translation which generally is a bad idea when using Cpanel and though possible to setup can cause a lot of headaches. It would be wise to put the Cpanel server directly on the internet without NAT translation or at the very least, set your router with appropriate port forwardings or DMZ settings.

The second issue that comes to mind is that you may possibly be one of those people who thinks you can run a Cpanel server from a home cable modem account. If that is the case, you need to be very careful because most (if not all) cable modem companies actively terminate accounts caught running web servers at home. Some just force you to upgrade to a more expensive business class but most just flat terminate the account. In an effort to save work having to track down users violating ToS usage policy though, several of the major cable modem providers have begun blocking incoming port 80 access in an effort to curb users from trying to setup web servers at home.

The bottom line and real point being made here is that your ISP may actually be blocking you from reaching your server.

(Incidentally, cable and DSL accounts really don't have the bandwidth required for any real major web activity in any production form so generally not a really good idea anyway)

Another item to note that would be relevant only if you are trying to connect by hostname is that your DNS may not be properly configured, updated, or replicated yet and you may not be able to reach your server yet other than by numeric IP address. Something else to consider.

EDIT: One other item of possibility may be a netsplit. Do a "tracert" to your server from across town to find out.

#3 Spiral, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009