noimad1

Mar 27, 2003
I used the manage ssh keys in WHM on my two servers. I setup a key on one server, authroized it, went to the other server and imported it into the public key, then authorized it. I then did vice-versa on the other server.

Now I'm trying to use Rsync to connect from one to the other with this command:

rsync -azv -e ssh --delete /home/mysqlbackup/ [email protected]:/home/backuppath

But it still keeps prompting me for the password.

Even if I just try "ssh [email protected]" from either server it prompts.

Did I miss something in all this?

Last edited:

speckados

I used the manage ssh keys in WHM on my two servers. I setup a key on one server, authroized it, went to the other server and imported it into the public key, then authorized it. I then did vice-versa on the other server.

Verify this.

ON SERVER mybackupserver
cat /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
mut be a line (one line) with content of
cat /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub of ORIGINAL_SERVER

noimad1

Mar 27, 2003
Turned out it was just the syntax on my rsync. To use rsync with ssh keys it should have looked like this:

rsync -azv -e 'ssh -l root -i /pathtokeyfile' --delete /home/mysqlbackup/ [email protected]:/home/backuppath

I didn't know I had to tell it specifically that I wanted to use the root user and which keyfile to use. I guess I thought it would do it by default since I was logged in as root, but made perfect sense after I realized it.

Thanks cpanel support for helping me out with that one! I really have to give them kudos for helping out with such a trivial item.