The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH Password Tweak acting weird

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cpeden, Jul 30, 2014.

1. cpeden

cpeden Member

So on my cpanel server I am using Password Auth for SSH. This means the "SSH Password Tweak" is enabled in whm. It seems on a random interval the server will just start rejecting SSH access via password, after several retry's it will usually finally work. On occasion it will just not accept a ssh connection to which the only fix is to go in an disable the tweak and the enable again. This is getting extremely annoying.

My server is running CentOS 6.5 64bit.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks
    Chris

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have cPHuld enabled and the password is rejecting only for a single user? if so, disable cPHuld ( or whitelist your IP address ) and enable / configure CSF. Also change SSH port to a non-standard one. Check and see if the issue persists.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it sounds like the user might have been locked out by cPhulk brute force protection. Try adding your IP address to the whitelist to see if that helps prevent the issue.

Thank you.