The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH takes 10+ seconds to log user in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n000b, Aug 23, 2007.

1. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've got an unusual problem and I'm wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot it.

Whenever I log in to SSH on my server, once I have entered in my username and password it takes about 10 seconds before actually logging me in (if I enter the incorrect password it tells me within 1 or 2 seconds). I've got no idea why it takes so long and I'm trying to find out.

I just restarted my server then and noticed that it logged me in straight away - so I'm guessing that the longer the server has been up for, the longer it takes to log me in for whatever reason.

The problem seems to occur regardless of what user I try to log in to.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? Does anyone know what actual steps the SSH process takes (ie what files it checks/executes etc) when a user tries to log in so that I can try to troubleshoot the problem?

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

If you are using any SSH client then see if it provides any debug option or not. If you are on linux and using the SSH directly then you can debug it as:

3. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

check and see if you have UseDNS set to yes in your ssh configuration at /etc/ssh/sshd_config. If you have this, it will try to resolve your client's SSH DNS hostname during the authentication.

4. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

Between asking for the password and actually completing the login process, it said this:

I'm not sure if there is anything abnormal in there, but it isn't taking a long time to log in yet anyway so there probably wouldn't be.

It's commented out; is the default value for it yes or no?

5. Sergiu Tot

Sergiu Tot Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Default is set to yes. Set it to no and restart sshd.

6. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will try it later and report back here in a few days. It doesn't really make sense that it would suddenly be resolving quickly after a restart would it though?

7. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You didn't actually need to reboot, just restart named/bind. If that is not runnning correctly, it can't resolve.