The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSH works but not WHM attempts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ohdang888, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ohdang888

ohdang888 Registered

I am so confused.

I can log in to http://mysite.com:2087 in certain places, but not others (a.k.a. - home, in my dorm, etc.) But i can't in other random places (library, friends house, etc.). It doesn't simply deny me either, it just loads and loads and loads and eventually times out.

However, when i go into my terminal on my Mac, and I can SSH into the server everywhere (even when WHM won't load). So i'm doubting its an IP address thing.

What could this be?

Thanks

2. ARPLink

ARPLink Member

You could try using whm.mysite.com instead of mysite.com/whm. Usually I've had this problem where the networks had some kind of limitation or when the DNS zone/DNS server had some kind of glitch.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are able to load whm.mysite.com but not mysite.com:2087, then the port is likely blocked on your firewall on your local computer to get to 2087. whm.mysite.com is a proxy redirect from Apache via either 80 (http) or 443 (https) rather than using port 2086 or 2087.

4. ohdang888

ohdang888 Registered

I disabled require SSL to log into WHM (seeing as though i don't have an SSL certificate i thought it was useless anyway..)

So you're right, when i go to whm.mysite.com, it works. I can get into the WHM now anywhere.

BUT, CyberDuck, my FTP program, is confusing me. It says it connects to the server, but at random places like i described above, it gets stuck on listing the directory after it connects. It eventually times out. So, like you said, i guess it could be the firewall on my Mac? But why would it allow it work properly when i'm using my laptop at home, but not when i use my laptop in the library. Would that mean its NOT my firewall on my Mac causing this issue?

Thanks for your time

UPDATE: I tested turning OFF my firewall, and the FTP problem is doing the same thing again.

#4 ohdang888, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you are connecting to another service provider such as a library, you are bound by the restrictions on the firewall at that location. If you are at a public library, they are likely blocking the port. By the very fact you can access whm.mysite.com when you cannot mysite.com:2086 or mysite.com:2087, this does indicate those ports are blocked either on your system or at a higher level like the configuration of the router. If I ran a public library or a business library, I would block off other ports as well. It's a security issue to allow non-standard ports to be opened.

6. HorburySchool

HorburySchool Active Member

As Tristan says - your issue is at the locations in question. Nothing you can do to fix. Here in UK, Libraries tend to get their internet provision from their local council (same as many schools), which means the entire connection is behind a firewall, proxy and filter.

Long n' short of the matter - if you're wanting to do system administration functions, do it from a private residential connection, not a public connection.