The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL access to webmail without using port 2096 and with signed wildcard hostservercert

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lorio, Aug 15, 2011.

1. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have read a few thread about the proxy for webmail cpanel etc. and participated in a few ones over the time.

If you know a thread where the following is already discussed let me know and we can delete this thread.

Current situation (correct my if i am wrong):

You can install a cert for every account.
    You can access webmail cpanel webdisk etc. via proxy via port80
    You need one IP per account.

You can install a wildcard cert or a cert for every service "cPanel/WHM/Webmail Service", MTA/SMTP, IMAP, FTP to allow "easy" access via hostserver.domain.tld to these services.

The accounts holder will e.g. not use their domain name in thunderbird but the hostname.domain.tld as pop3/smtp to prevent cert mismatch.

But they cannot access the cpanel/webmail/webdisk via the hostserverdomain without using ports via the cert of the hostserverdomain.

If you install a cert per customer you cannot get the services MTA/SMTP IMAP FTP via proxy (out of the box) which won't pop up the cert mismatch.

So there isn't a way (out-of-the-box) to prevent a cert/hostname mismatch and preventing using ports on secure webaccess either way.

The concept of every access via the cert of account domain name seems to filed with this feature request:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/ssl-certificate-per-domain-all-services-200492.html

The other way around. Access via one hostdomainname and one cert ist perhaps also filed somewhere.

If you think I missed the solution and I'm just too dumb please don't hesitate to tell me ;-)