The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL always on means there is no account transfer without forcing customers to change mailservernames

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lorio, May 9, 2014.

1. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SSL always on means there is no account transfer without forcing customers to change mailservernames.

Since even if you buy a (wildcard) cert for your customers domain name, they have to connect via the hostserver names to the services like exim, courier or dovecot. I don't a proxy solution to help migration. I don't see a way to use the hostname of the old server on a new server.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: SSL always on means there is no account transfer without forcing customers to change mailservern

Hello :)

Yes, the end-users will need to update their email clients with the updated hostname of the destination server if it's changed. It's acceptable to use the individual domain name, but a domain mismatch error message warning will present itself.

Thank you.

3. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: SSL always on means there is no account transfer without forcing customers to change mailservern

This post was not intended as a question :)

I think it is time to implement the SSL services on customer domain level to allow account transfer without any changement to hostnames. Optimal would be using it with just a single SSL cert, but wildcard would be still a very good solution. Or a proxy concept (cpanel dns only installation) which can redirect such connections to keep hostnames unchanged.

The customer landscape is used to have incoming/outgoing server names stable or to use there own domain name. The certificate mismatch is a nogo for many devices/applications. Think about Outlook moaning every startup.

Perhaps the reseller part of cpanels customers base is shrinking and more are business / selfthost purpose users so these things are non-issues to most customers.

Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Yes, the feature request is one way to go. I already voted it for it. Thanks for adding it. The problem with the feature request is that only a subset of the forum users are using it. The forum users are only a subset of active customers. So we don't know what they all thinking about cpanel and demanding as features. What a pity.

We had a talk about SSL on all services in a thread from 2011:
    "Filed with Developers SSL certificate per domain on all services (Case 55985)"
    https://forums.cpanel.net/f145/ssl-certificate-per-domain-all-services-case-55985-a-200492.html

BTW: Is the search function on the right top using the data of the feature request system too? I tried a few terms and no results from cPanel Feature Requests were shown. Not sure if that is intentional.

#5 lorio, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

The search box in header of these forums searches these forums. The one on cpanel.net,in header top right, is searching the main site and blogs. To search Feature Requests, you'll need to use the large search box on the Feature Requests main page, or the smaller search box on the Feature Requests site just below where you see your logged in username.

7. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Sorry InfoPro, I didn't made my intention for asking clear. I have to remind myself to be more precise since the whole crew here is on a mission to help (in first place) and discuss (in second place). Sorry for that.

I know how to search for these services. But to drive more people to the feature requests in the first place the google custom search in the top right corner would be a good way to do so.

8. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Agreed. I'm just not sure it can be accomplished in a way that would be useful.