The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSL and Hostname

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Knyteguy, May 6, 2009.

1. Knyteguy

Knyteguy Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have been working on trying to get an SSL certificate going for nearly 2 days. I have my signed certificate, and I'm trying to install it on my hostname, server.webhost.com

now the problem is, the certificate is working for my main domain's webmail of all things webmail.csdwebhosting.com , and as such getting a certificate error, since it's signed for server.csdwebhost.com

I don't have any I assume the webmail is resolving to the server certificate, which I changed. Why is it though, webhost.com:2087 is resolving to localhost.localdomain certificate. Literally, it's just like that "localhost.localdomain" signed by, issued for.

I did my very best to remove it, even moved the localhost.localdomain.crt file from the SSL dir on the server to another directory. I restarted apache, cpanel, and still nothing. server.webhost.com:2087 signed ssl localhost.localdomain.

I don't understand it it's an absolute conundrum. IE8 makes an incompatible sign very much a pain.

Can you please throw some ideas out there of why this may be, it's extremely frustrating. I just want to remove the self-signed certificate from my hostname, so I can proceed to setup my main domain (I'm not looking forward to that either).

I apologize if this is a little unorganized, I've been up for a long time trying to figure this out. My host wants $90.00 an hour to look at the problem, so I'd might as well figure it out.

2. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Are you doing this through the "Manage Service SSL Certificates" section of WHM? This can be found here:

Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates

In this section, is where you would remove the self signed cert's, and install your newly created cert.

3. Knyteguy

Wow, thank you man. I was working exclusively through Mod SSL, and neglected that section completely. Working as expected now, you're a lifesaver! :)

4. Knyteguy

#4 Knyteguy, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Did you purchase a wildcard ssl cert? If you only purchased the cert for server.csdwebhost.com, that would be the only domain it would work on. If you wish to use https://csdwebhost.com, then you would need to purchase, and install, a cert for that domain as well. This would be installed through your CPanel interface, unless, you are going to use this as a shared ssl certificate, then, it would need to get installed through WHM, and set as the shared cert.